360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
The look reminds me of sabiki lure rods. The idea with those rods, I think they still sell them, is that you store the sabiki teaser rig inside the rod. I wonder how easy it is to thread your line through the spathe rod particularly if you are on a moving boat.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Why does line running throught the blank instead of through guides lead to a "natural" bend curve again? Unless he can show me a side by side comparison, i dont buy it.
Does running line within the blank compromise the structural integrity of the blank>?

btw, tip wrap is more about technique. Havent had tip wrap in years.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'll bet he takes the guides away and still charges more for the rod. ;)
Instead of shortening the rod and using less guides, like some others, lets just get rid of guides. 😁

Daiwa has been selling interline rods for decades. It seems they are only popular in niche markets.
Never seemed to have widespread appeal that I saw.

Wonder why he suddenly thinks they are great now??? Does it have anything to do with 20+ years passing since Daiwa got the patent in 1994??? :unsure:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my case I keep breaking the guides. I think part of it is they get caught on T-top holes on top. It is very annoying....

·
144 Posts
Interline rods such as this nothing new but they seem to have fallen out of favour in Japan, maybe due to such a hard sell. Everything he has spoken in the video is correct, interline concept nullifies all problems with normal guided rods. The only disadvantage I've experienced is the small exit diameter at the tip making bulky braid-leader knots a no no.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The advantages just dont jusify the cost and trouble with maintenance. There is no way to check the "liner" within the rod or replace things easily. What if junk gets on your line and it gets stuck within the rod? How do you clean it? How do you get salt out to prevent rusting? What if you get cut off, is it easy to thread the line through ? Can the "liner" within the rod handle high drag pressure and flex without the liner digging into the blank? Does the "liner" have heat resistant coating?, i know for a fact fuji guides use material which prevent heat build during high drag runs.

The whole system just isnt feasible for long / heavy use.

·
3,737 Posts
I had a few Daiwa interline rods back awhile.
I ended up popping that weird tip off and building the rods with guides. I loved em built conventional. Interline , not so much.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It’s not clear from the video but this rod is a two piece rod. You can see the second piece starts where the rod narrows. I would think a two piece rod for this design makes more sense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts