Venice Report

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Drifter, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Three of us were on business in New Orleans and we made a one day trip to Venice Wednesday. We charted with Pocoloco, Jerry Allen but Lee Mclean was our captain.

Weather was great - maybe 1.5 waves:) We made bait and headed out to Medusa. No luck with livies so we started chunking. On the first drift, Steve hooks into a good fish. About 45 minutes later, he had joined the "100" YFT club. :D No other hits so we move to another rig about 5 miles away.
    View attachment 3477
    On the first drift James hooks up but we lose it. He quickly hooks up again and the fight is on. 40 minutes later, he also joins the "100" club. :D No more hits the rest of the day but another boat nearby hooks into a sail. About 2 hours later, they release it at the boat. We had a great view of the sail dancing on its tail:cool:
    View attachment 3478
    On our way in we catch a very nice Bull Dolphin and a skinny.

On a tought day for fishing, Captain Lee did a great job putting us on a couple of 100 pounders. Although I swear he looks like he's only 20 years old, he's clearly a seasoned veteran!

Now it's on the Big E 76 hour trip :D

View attachment 3479

Attached Files:

2. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

Yall had some nice tuna, I was sitting up at the grill drinking a cold one when yall came in.

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Way to go Gentlemen--but one question--was "maximum drag" used on that Wahoo????? :D

I will add from information already received that with those fish, all three of these undeserving yahoos ahd now joined the 100-pound yellowfin club, much to Uncle Russ's shame and chagrin. :D

Russ

4. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Thanks Mitchw123456, sorry we didn't get a chance to meet - maybe next time.

UR - the skinny was so puny I didn't even know he was hooked :)

Maximum drag - The Venice Captains like 14 - 17 lbs of drag when fighting large Tuna (if they can't pull line with their hand at full strike they quickly lighten the drag) - turns into a 1 hour fight. For our 76 hr Big E trip next week, I'll set my drag around 26 lbs at strike so I can increase pressure as the fight progresses.

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Louis:

I think I saw that Wahoo this morning when i was taking a leak. :cool:

You and I never, ever, did things the same way. That's why I pissed you off when I worked for you. :) I prefer to start out with lower drag, then tighten as I go along--with the exception of freespooling it at the gaff if ordered to do so.

Russ

6. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

. . . iThe Venice Captains like 14 - 17 lbs of drag when fighting large Tuna (if they can't pull line with their hand at full strike they quickly lighten the drag)

Do they just assume customers are idiots; or, is it that you're using THEIR rigs and tackle?

7. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Jep: I cannot speak for all Venice captains, but Captain Eddie on our trip a year ago, did in fact set the drags very low--I'm thinking about where Louis said--certainly under 20 pounds--and we were all using our own gear. I think (although he can correct me if I am wrong) that his concern was mainly to avoid pulled hooks. And in fact, we had only a couple out 15 or 16 hookups--and I think all of those were on a rod that was set quite a bit higher. Our success rate in landing those fish was phenomenal--and I don't remember any given fight lasting even 20 minutes. (of course, no tuna was over 75 pounds, either.)

8. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

Jep: I cannot speak for all Venice captains, but Captain Eddie on our trip a year ago, did in fact set the drags very low--I'm thinking about where Louis said--certainly under 20 pounds--and we were all using our own gear. I think (although he can correct me if I am wrong) that his concern was mainly to avoid pulled hooks. And in fact, we had only a couple out 15 or 16 hookups--and I think all of those were on a rod that was set quite a bit higher. Our success rate in landing those fish was phenomenal--and I don't remember any given fight lasting even 20 minutes. (of course, no tuna was over 75 pounds, either.)

Maybe I responded too quickly because of an instance in which a headboat capt reached over my shoulder to test and reset the drag on my B2-665 reel as I was successfully bringing in a 90+ lb YFT. He said it was set at 40# (it wasn't and he couldn't have known if it were b/c you cannot pull much more than 20# on one wrap of 60# spectra barehanded w/o drawing blood and he didn't). I had not missed any tuna on that trip and I didn't lose that one. But I do recall a time when, while kite fishing, I intentionally tested and lost a hookup on a much larger YFT by using 40+# of drag--and the Capt let me do it b/c it was my choice. It was a good learning experience . . . seeing that in moderate seas a YFT could pull me across the deck and up to the rail. Of course, I got him to the rail, too.

9. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Nice fish guys!

10. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I certainly don't have the YFT experience of most people on this forum but having gone on 6 YFT trips and catching 7 myself, I've seen pulled hooks on every trip. On my Wednesday trip, one was pulled after 5 minutes with drag set lightly at strike (I could pull the drag with one hand at strike). One Venice crew Tuesday told me they lost the first 5 hookups and they were on a charter where the Captain uses a light drag at strike (under 17lbs). I believe sometimes for any number of reasons, you just lose fish.

Jeb, my three Venice Captains lowered the drag on my gear (actually all our gear). While I didn't agree, I allowed it as it's their charter and boat. I will admit that a couple of times I increased the drag (when the Captain wasn't looking) to add more pressure on the tuna.

In fairness, it's possible that sometimes bites are few and far between, and the Captain wants to eliminate a pulled hook from excessive drag on gear he hasn't adjusted himself.

Captain Lee followed the Tuna with the boat to limit the amount of line the fish was taking which was very helpful. I don't believe this will be an option on the Big E next week.

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I personally would not like anyone adjusting my drag. I like to fish the way I want and if I tend to loose more fish because of it then live and learn. I am sure you get less pulled hooks from less drag but whats the fun in fighting the way you don't want to?

12. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I agree with both of you (that you should be allowed to fish the way you want to)--the reason I like jumping on Drifter's case is not his theories about drag-etc., but the intensity with which he talks about them. :D He's actually a good sport to put up with the ribbing and hasn't tossed me overboard---yet. I think it's easier for me as a rank novice to let someone set my drag--simply because I consider them, as Louis says, the boss on their own turf, and experts who are there to help. Also, it isn't always possible for the Captain or deck hand to know whether one of their customers is a yahoo like me or someone who has been catching YFT all his life.

Russ

By the way, Louis, did I hear you say you hit blue water 15 miles or so out? We had been speculating as to how the Mississippi River flooding might affect the Gulf. I think the consensus was that it would not. Obviously in your case, it did not.

13. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

Well every trip I've been on to Venice they have backed the drags off to around 16-18#'s this year I just set them all to 18 and I don't think eddie messed with them except to push one of my Avets to full an hour and a half or so into the fight yesterday..

14. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I personally would not like anyone adjusting my drag. I like to fish the way I want and if I tend to loose more fish because of it then live and learn. I am sure you get less pulled hooks from less drag but whats the fun in fighting the way you don't want to?

Heck yeah! My gear. My knot. My line. My hook.... Get the point?

I paid for the charter. I fish it my way as far as gear is concerned. My hired captain is there for local knowledge and fish finding ability. I do listen to his advice on most matters. I do know where my drag is set and they better not touch it. If the hook is correctly set into the corner of the jaw... it will not pull with high drag settings.

Just my rantings...

15. aruvio

aruvio Banned

in my opinion, the longer the fish is in the water, the more chances for S"%$t to happen. On a partyboat we usually catch 60-80lb yft on jigs in usually 5 minutes or less. I like to fish the drags at about 22 lbs but if I need to I will crank the star even more. Usually the thumb is enough plus the rail but it's a feel thing. On a private boat where you can fight the fish without any lines and where the boat can chases the fish, its no big deal but like I said it just increases the chances of losing a fish.

I'd rather see a fish gaffed green than lose a fish. I'd rather get a gaff in the side of a green fish, then no fish.

Just my .02 donation.

16. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Gentlemen and Russ,
    I hope you understand that any fight over twenty minutes and the tuna starts to degrade.

17. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

As does the fisherman.

Fred

18. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Gimmedeal -- Amen to that!

19. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

dont touch MY drags... thats MY job :)

20. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

another boat nearby hooks into a sail. About 2 hours later, they release it at the boat. We had a great view of the sail dancing on its tail:cool:

Did I read that correctly....two hours to boat a sailfish?