Venice Overnighter 8-12-2017

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Striker Tackle, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Striker Tackle

Striker Tackle Sponsors

We were able to make our first overnighter on Saturday 8-12-17 out of our home base in Venice. We started heading down the river by 2 pm. After a 2 hr run we arrived at the targeted drillship. Started off a little slow with only (1)60Lb Yellowfin coming in the boat off of a chuck of red meat, we were marking fish but they were down between 150-200 ft. We made a few more drifts with no yellowfin and only caught one Blackfin on a 170 gram flat fall jig. From 6pm -10pm it was pretty slow with the tuna we just kept chumming and drifting free-lines without much luck. I think all the dolphin (porpoise) around the drillship shut the Tuna bite down.Around 10:30 we headed in closer to get our limit of snapper and called it a night.

Overall we managed to put a small box of fish together.. Ended up with (1) 60lb yellowfin and (1) blackfin 25lb, 1 alamco jack and 8 red snappers.

Will do it again soon.
    Jimmy and Raymond

These are the jigs that produced some of snappers and one blackfin

http://strikertackle.com/flat-fall-j...rams-set-of-5/

IMG_3269.JPG IMG_3268.JPG IMG_3265.JPG IMG_3267.JPG

jcho and Snaphappy like this.
  2. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

Did you fish any live baits? We had one around 50-60 on a jig last week and three on poppers but but the other 12 (over two days) were on live bait. Heavy love chumming was the ticket.

3. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

I'm looking forward to putting some of your 250 gram jigs to work next weekend out at pulley ridge.

4. Striker Tackle

Striker Tackle Sponsors

No Live bait. Tried catch pogies at the end of northeast pass, but due to the light rain we could not locate them. Tried to catch hardtails at the in-betweens, 24 mile rigs, vk 989 with no luck. Should have went to the main pass area and caught horn bellys.

I just think there were so many dolphin ( porpoises) around the drill ship it just shut the bite down.

Let me know how you do with those jigs.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Snaphappy likes this.