360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Venice Offshore w/ Capt. Eddie

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Bret 
#1 ·
Finally finished the steaks, w more than a few beer/sahimi breaks:)
so here's the report:
Arrived thurs night 8:30pm, to clear skies & no wind. unloaded, went up & ck'ed out the "Bill Collector"-WOW! No sign from Tony, but we were hoping for the best.
7am fri. Tony calls, says he's here, we hook up & go meet Eddie @ the dock, go through the gear, load up, & we're off 8:30am. down the river, & out into the blue, first stop @ 4m to load up on hardtails & tease the sharks. gone in
20 mins to a rig about 6-8 further out, lots of football action all over the top
made chunk bait w little blacks & a skippy thrown in, got bored moved out to a floater about 17m offshore. blue water 2500 ft. marking some good fish
start popping(4 guys throwing poppers @ the same time w/out one injury or tangle! good communication!)
Not really any more than football action until a good bite on the livie. hookup, Danny's on, & into more than he bargained for!:D
after about 20 mins & some help, along w/ some kind-hearted ribbing, first tuna's on the deck, around 60#. good start, probably 11:30am.
keep popping & chunking on the 50's. 12:30, Greg's up & rt side goes off. a comical 15 minutes ensues as another tuna noob earns his fins.:eek:
He uncles after that, so I finish the fish & in 5 min's another 60#er hits the deck!
Throughout all of this, Tony's puking his fool head off due to the scopalomine patch, also known as "Manning-itis". we finally convince him to take it off right about the time the left side chunk goes off. We figured tony had already made enough chunks, but he's on and going like a trooper
kills another one in about 15 mins, about 65-70#, puts the rod down, goes over and pukes one more time. we go back for another drift, left side goes off
and it's my turn!:cool: Came tight, got a good run, but the Smitty's plate & harness allowed me to kick it's ass pretty quick, another 65 #er in the box
Well it goes on like this through the day until sunset, then the fish come alive, man!
40,60, 80# YFT clearing the surface by 5 feet at sunset is truly a sight I'll never grow tired of! big fish are starting to bust real close, now so Will, our
#1 primo badass deckhand, tosses a Frenzy on the OTI popper w a Cabo 60.
that's right, a 60 that is now dumping line @ an incredible pace, but making a wonderful sound doing it! Long and short, the OTI popper worked awesome,
And after picking up some line, Will put the short pump to that little pig, and had it in the boat. Awesome rod, guys! cant' beleive that reel held, but later, Greg nailed another one on it, but it dumped the spool in short order
this went on until about 8:30 pm, when we had to leave. The seas were great, the wind was about 5-10, but the 5-man YFT limit had been reached, so with 15 60-80 #yft's in the box, we cleaned up and headed in. no real problems with anything, except the junk reels that me & tony brought. That Penn 8500ss is out, & tony's new Fin-Nor os95 took a dive, too. do not buy that reel!
I want everyone to know that Capt. Eddie is the man. He knew exacly what we wanted & He delivered, big time. Definately the best charter I've ever had, and easily the best capt. Will is an awesome mate & knows those
waters just as good as any captain. there were some tense moments, but absolutley problem-free from start to finish. will somebody please remind me to stop and eat next time?
Venice marina still has it's scars, but all in all it's up and going strong w/ nice amenities, and lots of good people.
I would also like to thank this crew. Y'all made this trip so fun! with the noob action, jokes & smartass comments, and fun fishin', Eddie and the Dallas tuna bunch really made an already good trip an excellent one that I'll remember for a long time.
photo's are forthcoming in a photbucket link from Mojo.
tight lines
-Brian

See less See more
Discussion starter · #9 ·
Argo, the boat was full. If we weren't all content and tired,
and the tuna bite was off, I had planned on requesting a couple drops,
but Eddie kept us on the bite, so no complaints here.
Can't wait for the lump action in Jan.
tight lines
-Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.