Venice La. swordfish and tuna report

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Capt. Mike Ellis, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Capt. Mike Ellis

Capt. Mike Ellis Member

I have been running swordfish only charters lately and have been putting some impressive sized swords and decent numbers of fish on the dock. I have been experimenting with my hook setups and have found a hook and hooking method which is working better for me now. Catching a swordfish is a preperation and a lot of waiting but it is worth it. On my last trip we went 1 for 4 with the fish we kept being a very fat 48 1/2" fish. The trip before that we went 2 for 6 with one about 70-80 and the other about 120-140. The lousy hookup ratio was because of the wrong size bait and the matter of the way a swordfish feeds. We have a great fishery for swordfish in the northern gulf. We have a fishery to rival south Florida so now is the time to book your sword trip. So that yuo can say when we first started fishing sowrds out of Venice in the good old days. There was maybe one other boat out there but he was 30 miles away.
    Capt. Mike Ellis

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I saw the 2 for 6 report on BDs. Good looking fish! Swords are definitely something I want to get into when I have more time.

Pope
    www.texasfishreport.com

3. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

[​IMG]

Welcome to the board Capt Mike.

I have one of the swording trips planned. I just gotta take the family fishing first.

4. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I just had to add a picture...

[​IMG]