Venice June 26

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Mitchw123456, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

After trying for months to be able to get our crews days off lined out with a day Capt Eddie was free finally played out yesterday. After a 9 hour drive and a sleepless night at the Venice Marina Cabins we finally were ready to go find some bluewater. It would be an understatement to say that trip started out a little bumpy while only being able to maintain about 15-16 mph for the first few miles out but the further offshore we got the better the water got. We made a quick bait stop and jigged up a few bonitas before we headed out to the floaters which I believe took all of maybe 10 minutes to put 4 or 5 bonitas in the boat. Soon we were at the floaters making our first drift and while my dad and my friend were chunking I started out throwing frenzy poppers. They had a missed fish (maybe 2?) on chunk while I was wearing myself out throwing poppers. It didn't take long for me to get tired of throwing poppers and start running a chunk out of the boat myself. Soon after I got a chunk in the water, my buddy hooked up on my Avet Pro EX 4/0 2. Soon to follow I hooked up on my other Pro EX 4/0 2. I would guess 5 minutes or so after I hooked my fish Eddie mentioned something about it would be nice to get a triple. Not a minute or so later my dad hooked up on one of Eddie's Tiagra 50Ws complete the triple that put an ass whipping on us later. I was the first to get their fish to the boat, and honestly I'm not sure of how long it took but I'm guessing about 45 minutes or so later Eddie had the gaff in a 90-100# tuna that put a hurt on me. Soon after, my dad has his tuna on side of the boat that was in the 70# class or so or at least I think thats what Eddie guessed it at old age is a b!tch) My dad and I are both pretty much useless still at this time and we look up and see Aaron, my buddy, still in a severe bind on the front of the boat. This is about the time we were wishing we had a 4th person on the boat, but Eddie came to the aid and pulled on the fish for a little while giving Aaron a break. I would guess we were an hour and a half into the fight when we had an unwanted visitor start circling the boat which just happened to be a 10-12' shark. I honestly thought once the shark was around we would never see the tuna we were hooked to whole. Luckily enough he left after circling the boat for 30 minutes or so. 2 hours later, completely exhausted and cramping up we were passing the rod around the boat between the 4 of us. Eddie had moved the reel to full (which I pulled this morning at 32#s on the scale) and we were still gaining absolutely nothing on this fish. It sat underneath the boat at 200ft for what seemed for the better part of an hour. At around 3 hours into the fight it started the death spiral and guessing 3 and a half or so later we finally got the first gaff into this fish; after adding two more gaffs were were able to drag the fish over the gunnel of the Palmetto. Eddie said he knew it was over 150 but didn't guess to how much. Later, at Venice Marina, the scales proved to was right as it weighed in at 162#s. We made another drift and (thankfully) didn't hook up. We then saw busting tuna in the distance around a whale shark but I soon learned I can cast my Torque 200 great, until I see fish busting. After snapping off 2 poppers I gave up and grabbed one of Eddies spinners. I hate to admit it but this morning I committed to the dark side and bought a spinner and will soon be emailing my rod builder to have yet another rod made :rolleyes: We soon then headed inshore to troll for hoo's before making the run back in.

I can honestly say I have been on many different charters from Texas to LA and I have never had as good of a time as I did on Eddie's boat yesterday. You will not find another capt anywhere that is as much fun to fish with than you will Eddie. I look forward to going back in 30 days to try the same thing again with Eddie, except next time, from a small plastic boat :D Eddie, thanks again for a hell of a good time and for the help getting that 162#er to the boat!

Aaron originally hooked up
    [​IMG]

My dad hooked up
    [​IMG]

My dad and Eddie in a bind after my fish was in the boat
    [​IMG]

Eddie trying his turn to get the 162#er to the boat
    [​IMG]

finally
    [​IMG]

Dead arms and a heavy fish..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I am jealous, very nice!

3. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Eddie's a hard fishing Captain all right. Congrats on the fish, they're all nice and the big one is a pig. Sounds like a great day in Venice.

Fred

4. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

Hey Eddie I almost forgot, did you win the bet?