Venice Jan 4 and 5, 2008 report, Captain Eddie

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Bellyups, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

McGolfer, Grescobia, Brian S, and I fished with Captain Eddie on Jan 4 the 5 out of Venice, LA.

We met at I-20, north of Tyler, and off we went to the bayou. I spoke with Captain Eddie as we neared Venice and he tells me the lump is not happening, but the wahoo bite has been hot. Only scattered YFT were being caught. I was excited, but we had hopes for a chance at the famous lump giant YFTs. Oh well, you will not see me complain about catching wahoo. It was an easy ride into Venice and we were greeted by reasonable conditions on Saturday morning.

DAY 1:
    Lots of fog as we left the marina and radar guided us down the river. The water was chocolate with 2-3 foot seas at the jetties. However, blue water lurked below. We headed to several rigs from 7 miles out and the first wahoo struck. McGolfer was on it and easily boated our first wahoo:)

(Camera fogged up) Rick with the first wahoo
    [​IMG]

We trolled some more at various rigs and I catch a "weehoo" aka, small wahoo. I took a lot of sheet for it, but revenge would come later in the trip. Grescobia then catches a nice wahoo followed by Brian catching his first wahoo.

We boat several more wahoo and end the day with 6, mostly 30-50 pounds (guestimate) and no tuna. We did see a bait ball being hammered, but we never caught any of the fast moving fish. I had one hit that got off. It wasn't very large.

DAY 2:
    This time we meet at 6:15am with no fog and quickly head out south pass. We head towards bluer water but seas build to 3-5 feet and we decide to troll since the conditions were not favorable to reach the floaters. Also, there were no favorable YFT reports from the floaters. We begin trolling platform rigs and start landing more wahoo, many in the 40-60 pound range. McGolfer lands his first fish when using his outstanding custom super seeker with winthorp guides. This rod will see more action later. We had 2 triple hook ups and hearing 3 Tiagra 50s screaming at the same time is something to remember.

Grescobia with a nice wahoo
    [​IMG]

On one of the trolls we hook an AJ and small YFT. Grescobia begins jigging and hooks up. 5-10 minutes later, he lands a nice YFT. Near the end of the day, my turn comes. My lure is hit and battered about 2-3 times when it is finally taken. I grab the McGolfer's SuperSeeker with a Digitata 50. I look at the line counter and this fish is 350feet from the boat by the time it stops running. No big deal, I say, until I try to reel the fish in. This fish does not want to move:eek: It would make several smaller runs and it seemed forever to bring the fish within 300 feet of the boat. It dives a little and I slowly bring the fish to with 120 feet, but my arms are now killing me. It would pull 10 yards whenever I would have the fish within 100 feet of the boat. I avoided temptation to increase the drag, as I did not want to pull any hooks. I must thank McGolfer and Captain Eddie for this advice. Twenty minutes into the fight, the fish begins doing circle 30 feet below the boat. We finally see color and it is a very large wahoo. Captain Eddie sticks it with the galf, a second gaff is placed, and a 87 pound wahoo is boated.

Bellyups with 87 pound wahoo
    [​IMG]

Day 2 ends as a memorable day with a count of 10 very nice hooters, 2 YFT, 2 AJs, several released slot reds, and a large croaker. We also saw a huge mako, roughly 350 pounds or more.

Day 2 end of day picture
    [​IMG]

and another pic where you can see all the wahoo (I don't know where everyone went)
    [​IMG]

I had a great time and we boated a fish of a lifetime with that large hoo. The company was great and captain eddie did an awesome job. His deckhand Matt also did a top notch job. I thank everyone for this great trip:)! Brian, I have no pics of you with a wahoo. I wish I took more pictures.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

thats a great wahoo, congrats

3. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Anyone know a good taxiderist for wahoo? I measured the fish before we cut it up.

4. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Scott, and old pharts! That looks like a great trip! I had you all pegged to nail a 183 yft, but I guess it wasn't to be on this trip! That is a BIG wahoo!!!

Great report.

Tom - DBG

5. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

good job scott! very nice hoo.

6. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

kingsailfishmounts.com. around 800 bucks for a hoo your size

7. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Congrats on the nice hoo. Fish tacos.

8. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

exciting report and a fine wahoo
    hopefully the lump will turn on soon

9. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Beautiful wahoo. Can't wait till next week. Hope we're near as successful.

Fred

10. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Wow....that's a huge wahoo, Scott. Congrats on a great trip guys. Thanks for the great pics.

11. STx Fisherman

Hey Tom,

Scott is now officially an old phart also. I looked it up and found two definitions in the dictionary ....

Old Fart

1. n. An old man, an old fellow(considered offensive to the elderly)

2. n. What you smell when you smack your hand on your couch, car, or
    dining room chair, seat cushions.

I think that Scott qualifies for # 1.

12. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Dang Scott.. nice hoo.. thanks for the report.. I'll take a load of hoo over tuna most days.... Good job guys..

13. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Dang Scott.. nice hoo.. thanks for the report.. I'll take a load of hoo over tuna most days.... Good job guys..

Bret, I caught my first wahoo on your boat!:)

I was fortunate to be at the right place at the right time with good people and tackle. I changed the hooks on this bait before I caught the fish, I had McGolfer's rod and reel (by the way, those Winthorp rollers are super smooth!!!), and Captain Eddie put us on the fish.

14. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Nice catch.

15. Pope

Pope Senior Member

That is a fine fish! Congrats to you and Gres for having the "where with all" to start jigging when the little yft came aboard. That is what separates a great fisherman from a good fisherman.

16. DeepBlueGulf

Dang, I've got to say it again, that's a BIG Hoo!!! Good work Scott! Did you all ever mention what lures you caught them on? Any Wahoo Bombs used?

Tom

17. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

18. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

That's a nice pile of logs.

19. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Taxiderist? Your photos look great!
    Recipe? Looks like a enough meat for several.
    Thanks for the report from Venice.

Kev

20. STx Fisherman

Yeah...you should definitely frame that picture....very awesome!

21. DeepBlueGulf

Scott, send me a hi-res copy and I'll print it up, frame it, and get it put up in Floyd's!

DBG