Venice Black Fins

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by copperhead, Sep 27, 2009.

1. copperhead

copperhead Site Sponsor

Left Cypress cove 5 pm Friday, cleared South Pass and headed east. First couple of rigs current ripping, difficult to contol boat no way to keep jigs vertical although did catch couple large cudas on poppers. Picked up heading further east. Found rig with just right current and started on the black fins. We would put 4-5 in boat then sharks would zero in on us and we would only get a gasping head back to the boat. Did catch a couple of jacks on poppers!!! Continue east ,every rig immediate hook up on black fin. boat 4-5 then only bleeding heads. Not much suface yellow fin action, seems sharks and 'cudas were more agressive. By day light fish box would not close, ice getting low headed back to Cypress Cove making one more stop for 4, 30 plus lb AJ's
    Ended night with 28 black fin (6 jiggers), 4 nice AJ's, couple of horse eye jacks and one large king all on jigs/poppers.

2. Frogfish

Frogfish Senior Member

Nice job! How big were the BFTs?

3. copperhead

copperhead Site Sponsor

4. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Cool. Thanks for the report. Any one color produce best?

5. copperhead

copperhead Site Sponsor

Seems anything with silver worked well. Tried (for first time) some metallic sardines which worked well. Also was doing well on FC Labo jigs but lost all I had to sharks. OUCH!!

6. Eastern Tackle

Thanks. Seems like they almost prefer non-glow over the glow from the recent reports I have read. I'm sure I will drop a little of both though.

I have a feeling the yellowfins would prefer some flavor.

7. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

Nice Job! we went last week and had the same experience. we had over 30 blackfin on jigs alone!! any jig would do. we made it to nakika and finally found some yellows. all on live hardtails. i actually saw a small mako on one of my blackfin heads. pretty cool. what rod were you using to throw topwaters? also how about those plants at cypress cove!! they were everywhere!
    [​IMG]

8. Eastern Tackle

i actually saw a small mako on one of my blackfin heads.

That gives me an idea. :)

Nothing like a whole live blackfin bridled under a big balloon to spice things up.

9. copperhead

copperhead Site Sponsor

Andrew those are water lillies and drift with tide/current, they grow very fast and can completely choke off small to medium waterways quicky.
    We were throwing poppers on an OTI 7'6" 60-80#

10. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

how did it handle the smaller fish? we had the same float plan but a week earlier. to bad. i would have liked to fish with you. its almost redfish bonanza at the islands. if you ever want to go let me know. they are a blast on topwater when they school up.