360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I caught a big tuna using this line on a stella 20k and I guess I should strip off about 100-150 feet or so, but what then? Do I add different hollow line on top, the bottom, or do I add more of the same line on top or bottom? Reel has to be completely full as it is for cows, but what would be the best way to maximize the line capacity if I take off some of the varivas line, short of buying another spool of it (it's freaking $300 for 600m). If it was hollow line, no problem, but it isn't. I still have the remainder of the spool after filling up the 20k (probably about 150 yds).

Thanks!

·
1,553 Posts
Why are you stripping so much line off? Was there that much damage? If you do need to take that much off I'd put the remainder onto another spool. Then put a cheaper line to fill in the gap. Place the varivas back on top.

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The line rubbed up against the boat several times. At a minimum I plan on flipping the line, but thought it would be better to take out some that might be damaged.

·
Site Sponsor
816 Posts
if the damage is done on the upper 100 yards i don't think you have to cut the line, try to flip the line before you cut it, you should be able to save yourself money,if you have no choice get the whole line out and add new inexpensive line then attach your Varivas to the other line by using blood knots

·
490 Posts
you can use Pammettefisher's solid splice method to re-attach the rest of the line you have. you basically splise a small section of hollow on to each end of your solid spectra and then join them with a loop to loop. pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
i have been using this method exclusively on my pre-rigged setup and it lasted for my entier trip in panama so i have alot of faith in it at this point. for a quick rig i would do a bimini on each piece of solid and then join them with a loop to loop.

·
37 Posts
if the damage is done on the upper 100 yards i don't think you have to cut the line, try to flip the line before you cut it, you should be able to save yourself money,if you have no choice get the whole line out and add new inexpensive line then attach your Varivas to the other line by using blood knots

sami,

for braid to braid connection....would the double uni knot be okie?

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll flip the line if it seems good enough. I do think I'll go with 2 biminis and a loop to loop though if I need to add line and put it on the end close to the spool. Just wanted to see if there was anything else I was missing. Now, I just need 2 empty reels to flip the line :).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts