Various Poppers/Swimbait

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by rtran, Oct 22, 2008.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Here are some pictures of various poppers. Ruler pictured for lengths.
    I'll start with OTI. They stand at a little over 8 inches and weigh 120gram. These poppers do not have reflective finish.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Strike Pro
    These poppers are almost 9 inches long. They have a reflective finish but chip fairly easy as seen on the orange popper. They weigh 5oz or a little over 140gram.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Tackle House Shibuki V186ms/V186is.
    Almost 8 inches. Weight - 80g without hook. Hooks shown are Owner ST-66 3/0. The top one shown does not have hologram finish.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Tailwalk Gunz and Baby Runboh.
    160 Sinking - 160mm/85g
    180 Sinking - 180mm/120g
    Hooks shown are Owner ST-66 3/0
    The green does not seem to have reflective finish like the blue.
    BretABaker had 180 tailwalk last trip and did not have to cast far for tuna to hit this lure.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. NEMO

NEMO Member

You tackle hol, I like the OTI poppers in the Nemo, I've caught more YFT on this color at night. I just like Orange being a OSU Cowboy Fan.
    OSU 24-Texas 23 this weekend.

7. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

OSU 24-Texas 23 this weekend.
    You've been smoking off the wrong crack pipe!
    TX 35 - OSU 14

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

those heru poppers look sexy! i would change the VMC hooks off the tuna hunters, i lost a nice yft from a straightened hook. since then, i put owner 4/0's on them. that one actually had the wire assembly coming out of the body.
    [​IMG]

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Ouch, I'll be sure to do that!

10. gman

gman Senior Member

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

12. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Awesome Job Rich. I could add to this thread ... A LOT...but I don't have a Digi :mad:

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Awesome Job Rich. I could add to this thread ... A LOT...but I don't have a Digi :mad:

It would be cool for others to post and add to this. Show us what kind of poppers and swim bait work for you.

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

These work.

Attached Files:

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Is that a volador in there?

16. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Yes. That's a virgin pile. My used pile is at the coast. I hang them on a hog wire mesh partition after usage, spray down with corrosion X, then wipe off next day and put them back up. Those owner hook covers are a must. You can toss them all in a bag or bucket and never worry about getting a hook in your hand.

17. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

bill, where do you get those hook covers?

18. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Yes. That's a virgin pile. My used pile is at the coast. I hang them on a hog wire mesh partition after usage, spray down with corrosion X, then wipe off next day and put them back up. Those owner hook covers are a must. You can toss them all in a bag or bucket and never worry about getting a hook in your hand.

I need to get me some of those covers.

19. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

bill, where do you get those hook covers?

Anglers Pro Shop. They come in different sizes. You can't have enough of them. I've bought a few hundred and need more. I have never stuck my hand in a pile of poppers or swimbaits with the covers on and been bitten by a hook.:) They snap on and don't come off until you pull on them. I highly recommend them.

One of the best things about them is the ability to just grab the lure you want out of a pile. They never get stuck together. Just reach in the bag and grab the one you want to use. It comes out by itself, not tangled up with all the others.

20. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

Actually, I believe the Tuna Hunters will be coming with the new VMC forged trebles that should be much stronger than before. I LOOOVVVE those Tuna Hunters here on the west coast as the just plain work and so far have not straightened out a treble on bigger tuna. In November I plan on using them for cow sized YFT just as they come with the new hooks.

Jamie