360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Value Jigging - Popping Rod

4K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  papio 
#1 ·
This is my first post, I have loved reading many great threads over the past few weeks.

I have been on several Capt. John trips and I'm now looking forward to my first Big E trip (Nov 28th). I'm looking for a spinning rod that I could toss some poppers/jigs with to go with my Shimano Stradic 5000 reel. I realize that this reel may be a little light for this trip, but I will give it a try. I currently have a Trevela (TVS-66MH) rod and have managed to land bft up to 28 lbs but do not like my chances with a 70lb+ yft. Is there anything in the $100 - $120 range that will be better? I am even willing to go the used route if it makes sense. I don't mind jigging with a longer (or even a 2 piece) rod.

I also have an unrelated question to this forum. Are there ever any people that show up at the docks hoping to buy a YFT or other fish. What's the going rate? I have seen several pictures with trucks beds full of YFT just baking in the sun. Do people keep all of these or do they sell some?

Thanks for your help - Andy

#2 ·
With out the proper licensing you can not sell the YF. There will be plenty that would take them if you want to give them away including the deckhands.

As far as a popping rod goes spend the 300 on an OTI and you will have a quality rod that will last you your fishing career with proper care.

d-a

#3 ·
There are people that show up to the docks to pick up remains of the fish after they have been filleted. They seem to just ask and I never saw money exchange hands. The heads/spine hold meat and alot of that goes to waste after the main parts are fillet off.

What do you think spicy tuna rolls are made of ? =)

#4 ·
Accurate has a new line of rods ...

#6 ·
I think the majority of the folks on this board (if not all) would agree that the Stradic 5K is more than "a little light," even for blackfin. My semi-educated guess would be that even a medium yellowfin would spool the reel, whether jigging or popping and quite possibly cause the reel some mechanical problems. Not trying to be too negative, but the other issue is that on party boats, even if you were able to hang on to a nice tuna, the fight could be extended and lead to some of the other folks on the boat standing and watching you for an extended period.

Russ

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I live in Dallas and only get out about 2 times/year. I will see about upgrading my reel as well. I still have some time. I will use my Stradic for catching bait. I do not want to be the guy who makes everyone wait while I try and land a nice YFT.

Thanks again... Andy

#8 ·
In terms of budget outfit for YFT, I have a Spheros 14000FA (ebay, $140, but get carbotex drag upgrade, $10, smoothdrag.com). My rod is a Roddy by penn Gator tail, 7' 30-80# rating. I have only seen them at two Academy's, and they are $39 ($29 on sale). I have researched the hell out of this rod, and no one sells it, nor is it listed on any company site or anywhere else on the internat. It is an eglass rod, and I have landed at least a dozen YFT up to 90# or so on it since I got it a little over a year ago, all without a hitch. I fish with around 25# of drag, and I put some serious pressure on it. It does not 'creak' or exhibit any other problem signs of a cheap rod.

I think this rod was manufactured before Master took over the operations a few years ago. I have heard since then, the Roddy rods are crap, and they do not list this rod as a current production model. I like mine and for the price it is right. THe guys at Academy don't even know where they came from, and they are not currently listed in the system. I think they must have gotten them a while back, and since it is too heavy for any application but for tuna (which only recently became the rave), they must have soon gone out of production and never sold because they are such a heavy rated spinner. Before fishing for tuna with topwaters, who wanted or needed a 60# class spinner rod?

So with 65# spectra, reel (with drag upgrade) and rod, I have under $200 invested in my popping outfit. THat's less than what most people will tell you you have to spend on a rod alone, much less a reel.

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I live in Dallas and only get out about 2 times/year. I will see about upgrading my reel as well. I still have some time. I will use my Stradic for catching bait. I do not want to be the guy who makes everyone wait while I try and land a nice YFT.

Thanks again... Andy

And you don't want to be the heartbroken guy who only gets out 2/times a year and loses his only hooked-up YFT of the trip due to under gunning your gear. ;)

#13 ·
I have a Daiwa 7' 20-50# spinning rod that i bought from cut rate tackle (fishing tackle unlimited) for about $140. On my last Big E trip I was fishing a Penn 950ssm with 65lb jerry brown on this rod and had this yft to the boat in under 5 minutes. It's not a monster but faught good. I also hooked up on about a 65 pounder and passed it off to my dad (his first yft) and he had it to the boat in about 15-20 minutes. I also used this rod for jigging a snapper slapper. It might not be the best but, it got the job done.

Attachments

#15 ·
I fished with some 30-50 rods, and even 40-60. But in the heat of battle with a larger tuna on a single hook swimbait (fish caught on these baits generally fight harder and longer than same size fish with poppers), none had the backbone to put it to the fish the way I wanted. At the end of the day, a 30-50 is a 40# rod and a 40-60 is a 50# rod (generally speaking, in terms of of the rack rods). I got the back bone I wanted only with the 30-80 class rod, which I would put as a legit 60# class outfit.

#16 ·
Thanks again to everyone who has replied on this thread. I have found a spheros 14000 FA for $123 delivered from rivermarinesupply.com. It seems like a good deal and something that will hold up for a few trips at least. I'm still looking at rods. I might go with an Ugly Stick Tiger - 7' Spinning Rod. I will look to upgrade my tackle as I go. I have a Penn 6/0 Senator for my bottom fishing rig.

#17 ·
Thats a hell of a deal! You'll be okay with that rod, but I would hold off and keep looking for a little while anyway. You have some time. You can get that Tiger anytime, from most places. Waiting you may even find it on sale.

Definately okay with the reel; get it at that price. (I may get another! They don't make that model anymore.). But I would recommend strongly the $10 carbodrag upgrade for the Spheros from smoothdrag.com if going after the larger tuna. Since you're going in November, there's a very good chance you will get into them. Its money well spent.

#20 ·
Agree with above, plus one more: reliability when heated up. IMO, most drag failures occur because the drag material gets too hot and locks up during a strong, long run (absolutely the worst time for a failure, of course). You should not have that problem with greased carbotex.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.