vacuum sealer & pressure cooker recommendations needed

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by bluedude, May 24, 2008.

1. bluedude

bluedude Senior Member

I need to get a vacuum sealer and pressure cooker before the July 3rd Big E trip. At least I hope I'll need them after that trip, but if not, I'll definitely need them at some point. I've never had a pressure cooker and don't know much about them other than I need to find one that's induction compatible. As for the vacuum sealer, I'm on my third Foodsaver. I went from a cheap one to the Professional III model which was replaced under warranty after it crapped out less than 12 months after it was bought. The replacement is crapping out just over 12 months later and I'm out of warranty and out of luck. Has anyone had better luck with Foodsaver or any other brands? As handy as a good vacuum sealer is, I'm willing to spend some money on one, but it better last more than 12 months.

2. jureal

jureal Senior Member

That Foodsaver Pro III is what I have been using. What broke. The motor or is it just not sealing anymore. Your seals may need cleaning or a change. You must use it a lot more than me. Mine is over 5 years old now.

Are you buying a pressure cooker to do canning? Tuna? If so, get at least the 22 qt size. The most trouble free one is the American canner as it does not require the replaceable seals of the Presto models. However, I have been using my Presto for the past 5 years and I bought it used on ebay. I have changed out the seals a few times though.

3. awesum

awesum Senior Member

Chris ... I replied to this question over on the other board but forgot to ask .... Is it just not sealing? Or taking a while to seal? I keep a wet dish rag on hand and wipe down the sealer, heating strip and vacuum channel after every three or four runs and that seems to do the trick.

As far as canning goes just be sure it has a good gauge because you will need to monitor it. Something like 10 pounds of pressure for 110 minutes..... I think.:eek:

4. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I am using the Sinbo unit. It uses the cheaper, smooth plastic bags. It is 5 years old.
    Vacuum Sealers Used For Home Food Storage

The link has other appliances and useful info.

I'll second Jureal on the canner. The presto I have is in need of a seal. Go with the All American; it is well worth the money.

You might wish to buy a propane fueled fish fryer/ turkey cooker if you don't have one already. I can outside in the summer time to keep from heating up the house.