V jigging for tuna: rod lenght

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ambermax, Jul 18, 2008.

1. ambermax

ambermax Member

I love to build my japanese styile jigging rods very short, from 4'6" to 5'

how much short you think is possibble to built a tuna (blue fin) rod?

I fish with a RIB, that help big fish fighting....

2. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

3. ambermax

ambermax Member

thank you very much

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

what do you mean "RIB"?

5. ambermax

ambermax Member

what do you mean "RIB"?

Rigid Inflatable boat, I don't know what is the term in USA, in Italy it is "Gommone"

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ohhh ok. where in italy are you? i've heard the swordfishing is very good down off calabria

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

On something small like a RIB as you say you can get away with short rod because it will allow you to stay on top of the fish easily. Using short rod on big party boat is difficult. Check out John's thread on him jigging blue fin with his cut down Hot's Wei.

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f76/7-15-tuna-jigging-report-2840/

8. ambermax

ambermax Member

ohhh ok. where in italy are you? i've heard the swordfishing is very good down off calabria

I'm from Sardinia, mediterranean's hawai :) :) :)

what is "swordfishing"?

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

fishing for swordfish. i've heard the fishing down there is really good.

10. ambermax

ambermax Member

tonight I'm going to cut mmy SS cjbf60H blank to 4'10" for blue fin tuna...

if someone has something tu say about that, please speek now, or shut up for ever :-D :-D :-D

I'll couple that rod, with a stella 20000...

11. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

if someone has something tu say about that, please speek now, or shut up for ever :-D :-D :-D

it wouldnt be my first or 5th choice
    BUT
    its not me
    i am not going to try to stop you,
    waiting to hear the outcome
    you cut i will wait:D
    great reel choice

12. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Before you cut is set the reel seat were you want it..Than put a real big bend in the rod see if you get flex under the seat..

I know that I have built the ssctsf55xxh & 55xh & I put one wind-on guide on the way seeker does..Because that rod bends so far back..
    The SS blanks are great, you just my have problems cutting to much off the back end..Keep us posted I would like to know how things turn out..Good luck......

13. ambermax

ambermax Member

I evaluate the bending curve before I cut (finally I cut it to 4'9" measured on the blank)

this is an axample of test I do (the blank is another, not seeker...)

[​IMG]

I usually use a long foregrip to "help" rod in fihgting...

this is a very bad example while I'm trying to break my rod by a very bad hi sticking action :(

[​IMG]

I don't love rods (like some japanese ones) that bends in the handle, I consider only blanks like that ss that are very progressive and conserve a reserve of power in the foregrip zone

the ss 60H blanks seems to respsct that concept, bending not too much in the reel seat zone charged since 12 kg (that are a very brutal drag)

I think I use the rod at 8 kg (20lb) of drag....

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

pretty cool ambermax, thanks for posting. how far offshore are you in that picture?

15. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Its look like your on the money thats some rod you built..My only concern was to much flex under the reel seat..I did a test with a different rod blank (not a seeker) & under load it had to much flex under the seat.. It looked fine in the shop but in the field it was N/G..
    I like to build & field test a new blank before I offer it..

I wish I knew how to post pictures I would show you the GUSA 603..I think you would love it..

16. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

I evaluate the bending curve before I cut (finally I cut it to 4'9" measured on the blank)

this is an axample of test I do (the blank is another, not seeker...)

[​IMG]

I usually use a long foregrip to "help" rod in fihgting...

this is a very bad example while I'm trying to break my rod by a very bad hi sticking action :(

[​IMG]

I don't love rods (like some japanese ones) that bends in the handle, I consider only blanks like that ss that are very progressive and conserve a reserve of power in the foregrip zone

the ss 60H blanks seems to respsct that concept, bending not too much in the reel seat zone charged since 12 kg (that are a very brutal drag)

I think I use the rod at 8 kg (20lb) of drag....
    nice pic..what did you catch:D

17. ambermax

ambermax Member

Its look like your on the money thats some rod you built..My only concern was to much flex under the reel seat..I did a test with a different rod blank (not a seeker) & under load it had to much flex under the seat.. It looked fine in the shop but in the field it was N/G..
    I like to build & field test a new blank before I offer it..

I hope I understand all you say (my english is very bad, as you can see) :) :(

obiouvsly that you're saying is right...

in fact all that test I do are done on my own rods... (in this moment I'm testing 8 different rods) and some test on good blanks is finalized to lern myself the most thing I can on different kind of blanks, because I'm working for a company in Italy, as technical consuiltant (is a specialized mechanical engineer in marteriali composites) for the development of VJ rods...

I am commissioning to some companies some blanks with reinforces in grafite where I want or evaluate thei are right..., in order to avoid the bending under the reel seat and dhe first part of foregrip...

tuna fishing is a new experience that I'm coming to try to do... my daily target is dentex and AJ, but I never try to fish tuna (I like veri short and brutal fighting... :D I'm afraid that tunas don't agree with my wish... :) )

18. ambermax

ambermax Member

for Paul:
    it was a big ones grooper that in the moment of the photo it has yielded following to me and making me nearly to fall behind, that is why I raise too much the rod...

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

What sort of grouper do you catch?

Where in Italy are you? I forget what you had mentioned