360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late April 2021, I thought this was a quite common and available rod until I started searching to buy 2 of them:

USTEJG50100S661 SHAKESPEARE UGLY STIK TIGER ELITE 6 foot 6 inch

Anyone know a shop that has them available ?

Am I understanding correctly that this rod is setup to mount spinning reels ?

Thx.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, I guess Fishing Tackle Unlimited got it wrong ?

Their web page for this rod states conventional reel seat under specifications:

·
Registered
143 Posts
The description at the bottom is wrong, probably a cut and paste error on the part of whoever created that inventory entry on the page. The model number you listed "USTEJG50100S661" resolves to the spinning model. If you look up "USTEJG50100C661" you will find the casting model. Berkley uses the designation "casting" to describe their conventional reel seat.

Its easy to confuse, I know a couple people who grabbed the wrong rod when they were still available on Amazon. Lately they are rare as hen's teeth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lately they are rare as hen's teeth.
I hear that . . . .

Have you ever seen a device that essentially clamps on an 18" or 24" piece of rod length (with ferrule at the end that has an opening) onto a brute 6 foot rod - - so you get the cast advantage of 7 or 7.5 feet - - - but keep the line weight 100 Lb or better strength of the basic 6 ft. rod in case of a big one ?

The end ferrule is constructed so it can contain the line backwards for the cast - - but release it forward so only the 6 ft brute rod fights any fish that get's hooked . . .

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've never seen anything like that, but I'd imagine it wouldn't work as expected due to the way a short brute force rod is built. You might get a slight boost from the added length, but a rod that you are describing would be reasonably stiff so you would lose the whip action from a flexible end.

Best bet for what you are aiming for would be a 2 piece popping rod. I just added an Okuma Custom Hawaiian popping rod for the extra casting distance. Unfortunately budget popping rods are not really a thing. $200 and up is your price range for a 2 piece popping rod.

HungryJack just posted a pretty good comparison of multiple rods with photos for comparison of their parabolic action. Unfortunately none of those rods would be considered budget.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom:

Thoughts on rigging and hook selection for YFT:

Just watched a video with interesting technique, using "double hooks" (apparently commercial fishermen use these hooks often)

The guy runs his mono or fluor line with small loop tied? on end through live bait (I would use on piggy perch) gill and then out the mouth.

Next he runs double hook through loop (which hook shanks have "squeeze") which keeps mono/fluor loop at eye of hook, then he pulls on line to ease hooks down to near mouth of fish.

Apparently this technique does not damage/injure live baitfish, and as I understand predator will typically hit baitfish from mouth end first since sharp spiny fins will be laid down when ingesting from mouth side.

What is your opinion using this for YFT fishing ? What size hooks would you deem appropriate for YFT ?

Here is a video clip with a Russian guy using this technique with small baitfish:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've never tried anything like that so I can't speak to the effectiveness of it. I would think it would work though. When I fish for tuna with bait I keep it very simple. I run braid to a flouro leader to a circle hook. Nothing fancy, but has always worked for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts