Using vacuum to pack reel bearings??

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by Jason4606, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I've had some general reservations and actual problems removing covers on different styles of sealed bearings.

Some offroaders I know use vacuum sealers to pack and neatly store spare bearings before they hit the trail. It's probably obvious to you guys... But, they basically just over-load any open side, drop in the bag, and use vaccum to pull air out of (and gease into) every possible crevice.

Is this old news? If not, does it seem like a viable option for reel-sized, sealed bearings? I doubt that the seals are air-tight, so it seems reasonable to me. What do you think?

Thanks!!
    Jason

2. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i use oil in my bearings, and grease on the gears. so the grease in the bearings wouldnt apply to my reels.

3. alantani

alantani Senior Member

side plate bearings and handle bearings last longer if you pack them with grease. i leave spool bearings open and oiled so that they spin better and last longer. alan

4. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Hi Alan! I haven't tried this yet... But do you think it could is a viable option to removing and re-installing covers on sealed side plate and handle bearings?

Thanks!
    Jason

5. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

thanks Alan! advice well appreciated :)

6. alantani

alantani Senior Member

any little gap could allow water intrusion that could cause rust in the bearing. i would always open up and pack the bearings by hand. you don't want to miss something. alan