Using Break-Away Weights for Deep Drops?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by red34, May 4, 2009.

1. red34

red34 Guest

I was thinking about using concrete molded in narrow plastic cups for grouper weights made to break-away during the fight or if hung up.

I know larger versions of these are used for Swords in really really deep water, but do any of you guys make and use weights like this? I generally attach my lead with a short piece of 20# mono and rarely lose it anyway. I figured this would be about the same, just cheaper if lost.

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

red bull cans are @ 4-5 lbs and coke cans @ 8-9lbs when filled with concrete, the problem is the cup on the bottom makes them flutter going down.

d-a

3. red34

red34 Guest

I have some 16 oz plastic cups that narrow towards the bottom that I figured would be a good shape. Plus I have alot of wheel weight scraps that don't melt down to add in as an aggregate that should add a little weight

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Its easiest to just use 5/8-1 inch rebar cut to the weight you want and drill an eye thru it and coat it with plasti-dip so they dont rust on the deck of your boat. If you dont want to coat them, just keep them in a bucket

d-a

5. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

How deep of a drop are you fishing that requires concrete? I usually fish 200ft of water with 8oz tie to my swivel with 12lb test. Blacks and Muttons. :)

6. jig

jig Senior Member

Ive been thinking the same thing, for really deep drops (900'). I did the red bull can and lead, and it was 4-5lbs. So I think concrete would weigh a lot less than that. I agree that rebar has to be the best solution to this. But rather than drill a whole, I will just wrap some kind of line around it tight and tie it off. Of course, I have had this idea for around 5 years and have yet to do it.

Lead is too expensive now to toss away. You can usually get rebar pieces free by asking folks pouring concrete for the scrap.

7. red34

red34 Guest

Lead being expensive is the reason I was asking about concrete. It wasn't so much about extreme depths, it was getting rid of the weight while fighting the fish. Right now I rely on the boat's supply of heavy lead weights to get big live baits to the bottom, but I hate relying on that if I'm not positive that they'll have them on board. I already have the concrete so I figured it would be a cost effective alternative.

8. mikes

mikes Senior Member

red bull cans are @ 4-5 lbs and coke cans @ 8-9lbs when filled with concrete, the problem is the cup on the bottom makes them flutter going down.

d-a
    Have you tried putting the coke can in the freezer until the bottom pokes out? I know it works on a beer can if you forget about it while in the freezer.

9. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

make indentions in the ground that look like a snow cone cup... pur concrete, and add a loop of wire while its wet. give ya something to tie to. and the shape will be pointed on the end that falls in the water column.

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Have you tried putting the coke can in the freezer until the bottom pokes out? I know it works on a beer can if you forget about it while in the freezer.

I have, but using rebar is so much easier

d-a

11. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Rebar is the best.

12. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

thanks for the great tip guys. Now to start watching the job sites for rebar cutoffs :)