360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about using concrete molded in narrow plastic cups for grouper weights made to break-away during the fight or if hung up.

I know larger versions of these are used for Swords in really really deep water, but do any of you guys make and use weights like this? I generally attach my lead with a short piece of 20# mono and rarely lose it anyway. I figured this would be about the same, just cheaper if lost.

·
5,457 Posts
red bull cans are @ 4-5 lbs and coke cans @ 8-9lbs when filled with concrete, the problem is the cup on the bottom makes them flutter going down.

d-a

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have some 16 oz plastic cups that narrow towards the bottom that I figured would be a good shape. Plus I have alot of wheel weight scraps that don't melt down to add in as an aggregate that should add a little weight

·
5,457 Posts
Its easiest to just use 5/8-1 inch rebar cut to the weight you want and drill an eye thru it and coat it with plasti-dip so they dont rust on the deck of your boat. If you dont want to coat them, just keep them in a bucket

d-a

·
474 Posts
How deep of a drop are you fishing that requires concrete? I usually fish 200ft of water with 8oz tie to my swivel with 12lb test. Blacks and Muttons. :)

·
1,321 Posts
Ive been thinking the same thing, for really deep drops (900'). I did the red bull can and lead, and it was 4-5lbs. So I think concrete would weigh a lot less than that. I agree that rebar has to be the best solution to this. But rather than drill a whole, I will just wrap some kind of line around it tight and tie it off. Of course, I have had this idea for around 5 years and have yet to do it.

Lead is too expensive now to toss away. You can usually get rebar pieces free by asking folks pouring concrete for the scrap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lead being expensive is the reason I was asking about concrete. It wasn't so much about extreme depths, it was getting rid of the weight while fighting the fish. Right now I rely on the boat's supply of heavy lead weights to get big live baits to the bottom, but I hate relying on that if I'm not positive that they'll have them on board. I already have the concrete so I figured it would be a cost effective alternative.

·
154 Posts
red bull cans are @ 4-5 lbs and coke cans @ 8-9lbs when filled with concrete, the problem is the cup on the bottom makes them flutter going down.

d-a
Have you tried putting the coke can in the freezer until the bottom pokes out? I know it works on a beer can if you forget about it while in the freezer.

·
2,020 Posts
make indentions in the ground that look like a snow cone cup... pur concrete, and add a loop of wire while its wet. give ya something to tie to. and the shape will be pointed on the end that falls in the water column.

·
5,457 Posts
Have you tried putting the coke can in the freezer until the bottom pokes out? I know it works on a beer can if you forget about it while in the freezer.

I have, but using rebar is so much easier

d-a

1 - 12 of 12 Posts