US version Saltiga - another budget rod option

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Jason4606, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Not sure what happened to pix... Let me try again.

I've seen a couple of posts questioning the merits of the US market Daiwa Saltiga jigging rods. I was curious too, and for $62 on eBay I had little to lose to take a quick look...

This is a 5'11" 30-60lb rated conventional that appears accurately rated and more capable than the 65-200lb labeled TFC-58H Trevala F.

New Daiwa SA-JG511HFB right out of the box with labels still on and 16.5lbs of load:
    [​IMG]

TFC-58H Trevala F overloaded with the same 16.5lbs (notice line dropping completely below the blank before the first guide!):
    [​IMG]

It has Fuji alconite guides, Fuji reel seat, and plastic Fuji gimbal with cover. The grips are a branded EVA called "Duracork" and feel smoother than std. EVA - more like diamond shrink-wrap. The guides are a little larger than the Trevala, wrapped nicely and look very durable. The bias construction of the graphite blank is visible in the picture of the guide below. The rear grip is a little long for my taste on a conventional rod - 15" plus the gimbal - but OK.

Ratings:
    [​IMG]

Guide and a shot of the bias construction blank:
    [​IMG]

This is not a heavy stick, but it is a little heavier than Trevala F 5'8"H. Most of this seems to be in the longer grip and it balances very nicely with this JX 2-spd. This rod is rated for 270g-330g jigs and I think it should do great with anything from 100g up through the max of 330g listed. The tip seems lively and sensitive and is similar to Trevala F for the first 12" or so... BUT, as you saw earlier it loads up much quicker.

Another look at my cheap new stick with JX 2-spd:
    [​IMG]

After a quick first look this seems like a good low-cost, medium-duty option... Not sugesting it will replace any high-end heavy-duty tuna killers, but it may fill a lower-end need (rating and/or cost ;)) for some.

Thanks!
    Jason

2. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

Thanks for the report. Those rods look good for the price.

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

daiwa makes a solid product! regardless of the price, their buget stuff is better than most brands intermediate products. i have a foreign made saltiga jigging rod and that thing is a work of art.

4. gmack

gmack Senior Member

I almost bought a Saltiga, but didn't know if I would like the long rear grip length. I purchased a Cabelas brand 5'8" heavy model for $80. I like it. It's a decent rod, but has cheap compnents.

Gary

5. jureal

jureal Senior Member

If it is too long for your taste, cut it down and re-install the gimbal. Use an alluminum one as the replacement. Very easy do-it-yourself fix or can be done cheaply by any rodbuilder.

6. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

How can we get Diawa to take us Jiggers seriously and offer the Jap made stuff to us? The Chinese stuff just isn't the same.

7. fishchaser23

fishchaser23 Junior member

i bought the 5'8'' (i think) jigging rod rated for 20-50 lb line for jigging inshore for blues and stripers up here on the east coast and really have enjoyed the rod. It is very very light. I may purchase the heavier one for tuna after seeing this...

8. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Jason4606:

What kind of drag do you think the Daiwa SA-JG511HFB is rated for?

9. Jason4606

30% of the 60lb max line rating seems right-on for a max drag setting... I have the JX set right around 17 at strike and can still put my thumb down to move fish without feeling like it will explode! (But it's not an 80lb rod by any stretch.)

And also FYI, working 8oz diamond jig in nearly 300' of water was NO problem...

Hope this helps!

Jason

10. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I just got a 30T over the weekend. I'm thinking of matching it up with this rod?

11. jureal

jureal Senior Member

In looking at the photos one more time, it appears that the stripper guide on the Trevala may be too far away from the reel. This will cause the line to fall below the blank when under load. The Saltiga's stripper guide appears much closer to the reel and if they are larger guides, this will prevent the line from falling below or touching the blank.

12. Eastern Tackle

I just got my budget rod. Paired it up with a saltiga 30t. Perfect match from an astetic point of view (saltiga and saltiga). A big plus is I am very fond of blue and silver wraps, so its a win, win.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My boat braid will be in on Monday, so I will be much better prepared for my next trip.

13. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

I just got a 30T over the weekend. I'm thinking of matching it up with this rod?

Me to. I just ordered a Saltist 30T should get it on Wednesday. I also order the Daiwa Ishidai Z40 and it arrived yesterday. Very sweet reel!!!
    I am considering the following three rods for my two Daiwa reels:

Daiwa Saltiga rod
    Accurate Xnergy rod
    Penn Torque rod

I do not want to spend too much more than $180 for the rod.

14. Eastern Tackle

I got the Saltiga rod above and as stated the guides were a little loose. I'm just going to wip up a batch of aftcoat and give them a good build up coat over the base of the guides and see if that doesn't fix it?

My custom built spiral wrap will be ready next week, so this one will get a saltiga 16 and only be used for snappers and small game.

15. Eastern Tackle

Well, I put the Saltiga rod to the test over the weekend. Plenty of 20, 40 and 60lb AJ's. Plus one unstoppable. Paired with the Saltiga 30t and pe6.

The rod is exactly what I thought it would be. Light, sensative and limited to about 40lb fish. At that point it was already twisting. With the 60 lbers, the guides on the tip were almost sideways.

It is not what I would consider parabolic, where the rod bends into a perfect curve. It has a little more backbone at the front grip and a faster tip, giving more of an L shape.

It will still be good for dropping jigs and bait to groupers in 120ft. But thats about its limits. 40lbs and 120ft.

16. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Well, I put the Saltiga rod to the test over the weekend. Plenty of 20, 40 and 60lb AJ's. Plus one unstoppable. Paired with the Saltiga 30t and pe6.

The rod is exactly what I thought it would be. Light, sensative and limited to about 40lb fish. At that point it was already twisting. With the 60 lbers, the guides on the tip were almost sideways.

It is not what I would consider parabolic, where the rod bends into a perfect curve. It has a little more backbone at the front grip and a faster tip, giving more of an L shape.

It will still be good for dropping jigs and bait to groupers in 120ft. But thats about its limits. 40lbs and 120ft.

Thanks for the update its very helpful. Makes me just want to invest a little more money into a highly quality rod.

Seems like I will get a nice off the rack rod and one custom spiral wrap rod.

Ty

17. Pescador

Pescador Member

How can we get Diawa to take us Jiggers seriously and offer the Jap made stuff to us? The Chinese stuff just isn't the same.

I'm not even sure these rods are made by Diawa at all?
    Everything about them is not in anyway like the genuine Saltiga rods.

I have a genuine Japanese Diawa Saltiga and like another members says it is a work of art and super strong to go with its ultra high quality build.
    I imported 2 Saltigas direct from Japan and would advise anyone wanting the genuine article to do the same.....there are to many copies around to risk our hard earned cash on a bum steer!

With the Saltiga overheads it is common knowledge that the Saltiga is Japanese made and the Saltist is Korean made.
    However I have read no-where that these 'for sale in the US only' saltiga rods are a genuine Diawa product - perhaps Diawa US would care to comment?

18. Eastern Tackle

Since buying this rod and using it, I would probably up the rating on it to 60lb fish. Its still my favorite. I did have to replace the gimbal, which gave me the opportunity to shorten it up. This is a cross cut section off the butt.

[​IMG]

This is the new gimbal I stuck on it. Worked really well yesterday.

[​IMG]

19. Jason4606

Thanks for the picture of the blank! I've really liked this rod since day 1 and felt like it was very capable for the weight and action.

Did you have any success applying more epoxy to the guides? I guess it seems like that would just sit on top and not do much, but interested to know. Mine have never come loose but stripper will move a little.

I think a little better QC and these would be tough 300g rods to beat <$120.

20. Eastern Tackle

I have never done a thing to it other than the gimbal. If the guide mess up on it, I figure that I will either send it back, because they have a lifetime warranty or just toss it and get something else.