Urban slow/light jigging from a kayak

Discussion in 'Kayak Fishing' started by vgb, Mar 19, 2020.

1. vgb

vgb Active Member

Don't know how many of you tried slow/light jigging for catfish, from a kayak, in the middle of a city :) I tell you it's lot of fun, especially when other fish shut down.

At 14lbs on the scale this is an upper-average size for the Potomac, the largest I've caught was in the low 30s. I can't wait for warmer days :)

Tackle listed in the video description. Enjoy!

2. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Ha!
    Now that’s cool.
    Show us the jig you use to do this .

3. vgb

vgb Active Member

Here it is: ball sinker with swivel (3/4, 1 or 1.2 oz), skirts that go over the swivel, split ring and a sturdy hook (grip pin, off set or whatever you fancy) + Gulp (the scent helps the most, esp. in deep water). The swivel is really useful because catfish turn a lot on the leader during fight and the swivel takes pressure away from knots. I go for affordable, but found that I only lose about 1 rig per 2-3 outings. I look for drop offs and deep holes. Most of the time I'm in 20-45', esp. in mid-summer. Sometimes they hunt on shallow plateaus (late evenings or at tide change) and I change rigs.

I also caught catfish on slow pitch/light jigs (40-60g) mid column when going after stripers. They're active when herring and shad are in the river; that's around this time of year :)

Cheers!

Attached Files:

jshorty likes this.
  4. vgb

vgb Active Member

Forgot to mention: this is only a warm-up for fishing in saltwater. But it's a lot of fun, esp. on light tackle :)

tugasangler likes this.
  5. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Thanks ,
    Looks like a blast.
    If we had them anywhere near me I’d try this.
    I used to do quite a bit of carp fishing
    But you can’t jig them.
    I landed one 14 lbs on 4 lb line.
    Many in the 10 lb ballpark.
    All on bait though.

6. seapicker

seapicker Active Member

Have been Slow pitch jigging the Mystic river before dam for stripers. Biggest one caught last week in 40’ water measured 24”. I am using a Deepliner DLLG60#1 rod, 15lb braid on Shimano Ocea reel, jigging 80 gram jigs. Hopefully I will get to go to Cape this coming weekend and try in deeper water for bigger fish. Got to say that it’s not as easy to handle fish on Kayak, runs can easily break your rod if drag is too tight. On the other hand it's a fun challenge and keeps you on your toes.

vgb likes this.
  7. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Didn't see a single man made structure in the background of your video.

Not sure, if trees qualify as the "middle of the city"
    Just sayin

8. vgb

vgb Active Member

Look harder; and get back in another 3 months ...

9. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Nope, still don't see a building,
    or buildings, or anything that I might recognize as a city.
    Buildings going to grow up through the trees in 3 months?

10. vgb

vgb Active Member

You're getting slouchy Miss Marple ... that kayak is clearly a rental; it even has the sticker right in front of the camera. If you look up 'kayak rental places' in DC you'll find the 2 that are located ...

... I don't know why I even bother ... too much couch time I guess ...

PS: you replied to a 3 months old post ...

11. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Well that proves it,
    I must be an idiot.

12. vgb

vgb Active Member

I initially started fishing from a kayak in the hope of catching stripers; was using heavy bucktails and swim shads, but mostly got catfish and the odd schoolie sized striper. So I switched to metal jigs and looked for the deeper holes in the river; still mostly caught catfish. So I eventually downsized and settled for jigging for catfish, since there's so many of them in the Potomac and they're always active. Now I even catch catfish in the Chesapeake ... they must be the fastest growing fish population in the ecosystem.

How much current is there to use 80g jig in 40' of water? I mostly use 40g and only occasionally go to 60g. I use Major Craft Jigpara slow, DUO Drag metal slow, Nomad and some from Tackle World.

tugasangler likes this.