Urban slow/light jigging from a kayak

Discussion in 'Kayak Fishing' started by vgb, Mar 19, 2020.

1. vgb

vgb Active Member

Don't know how many of you tried slow/light jigging for catfish, from a kayak, in the middle of a city :) I tell you it's lot of fun, especially when other fish shut down.

At 14lbs on the scale this is an upper-average size for the Potomac, the largest I've caught was in the low 30s. I can't wait for warmer days :)

Tackle listed in the video description. Enjoy!

2. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Ha!
    Now that’s cool.
    Show us the jig you use to do this .

3. vgb

vgb Active Member

Here it is: ball sinker with swivel (3/4, 1 or 1.2 oz), skirts that go over the swivel, split ring and a sturdy hook (grip pin, off set or whatever you fancy) + Gulp (the scent helps the most, esp. in deep water). The swivel is really useful because catfish turn a lot on the leader during fight and the swivel takes pressure away from knots. I go for affordable, but found that I only lose about 1 rig per 2-3 outings. I look for drop offs and deep holes. Most of the time I'm in 20-45', esp. in mid-summer. Sometimes they hunt on shallow plateaus (late evenings or at tide change) and I change rigs.

I also caught catfish on slow pitch/light jigs (40-60g) mid column when going after stripers. They're active when herring and shad are in the river; that's around this time of year :)

Cheers!

Attached Files:

jshorty likes this.
  4. vgb

vgb Active Member

Forgot to mention: this is only a warm-up for fishing in saltwater. But it's a lot of fun, esp. on light tackle :)

5. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Thanks ,
    Looks like a blast.
    If we had them anywhere near me I’d try this.
    I used to do quite a bit of carp fishing
    But you can’t jig them.
    I landed one 14 lbs on 4 lb line.
    Many in the 10 lb ballpark.
    All on bait though.