360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My planned SPJ fishing is away on foreign trips 2 to 3 times per year, typically Panama.
Currently, I have a Shimano Trevala Medium Heavy 6'6'' jigging rod and Shimano Saragosa 6000 spinner loaded with 40lb sufix 832 braid.
I use this for all jigging in shallow to deep water using jigs from 50gr to 250gr.
I'm looking at upgrading the set up, primarily to fishing in deeper water and have the ability to use heavier jigs (for me) up to 250gr.
After reading through various posts here and online research, I'm thinking of:
Daiwa Lexa TW 400 (Left hand)
Black Hole Cape Cod Special SP B-662hMF.
50lb braid, probably Sufix 832 (unless there is a reason to use an alternative).
I would hope to have this set up to cater for most of my jigging using jigs 50gr to 250gr in shallow to deep water.
Does that sound like a good all rounder set up that will be an improvement on my current set up?
I have no way to waggle a rod or play with a reel prior to purchase so its all about research and buying online.
Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matawest. I was leaning towards the baitcaster (with power handle) because of the line lay, weight and it still seems to have sufficient drag and torque. And also the cost.
Are there advantages to a more spj orientated reel versus the baitcaster that I may be missing?
I'm a relative newby to this field and only have 'online' as a reference point so any guidance is very welcome.

·
Registered
323 Posts
OJ2k - 30lb braid is all you need. They are narrow reels which helps the line lay but you will still need to guide it a little. The black hole rod is a beast. I caught a triple digit sand bar on it last weekend and I only started gaining on it once I started pumping the rod. Bait casters are not really for jigging. Not that it can’t work, just not what it was designed for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts