Upgrading Hooks on my Poppers....what 6x do yo recommend??

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by John_Madison CT, Jul 1, 2009.

1. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

You guys scared me with pics of those 4x hooks bending at 20lbs of drag pressure. What brand / size 6x hooks do you recommend for my poppers?

Most of my poppers are Yozuri's with some Williamsons too.

2. txcards

txcards Senior Member

owner st 66 will handle big fish. Owner st 76 if you are fishing for 200+ yellowfin or bluefin

3. gman

gman Senior Member

I only use Owner ST-76 hooks now. There have been about 3-4 ST-66 bent this year. Probably because only one barb was implanted and too much drag but Im not risking it.

I havent had any issues burying the thick hook in any fish. I would suggest those

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

you can also try putting singles or double trolling hooks on. i may use some singles tomorrow.

5. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

use big trebles to pin thier mouths shut ;) for weenies like me, it makes the fight go quicker!!! LOL!! :)

6. gman

gman Senior Member

you can also try putting singles or double trolling hooks on. i may use some singles tomorrow.

Bret I use singles on back and big trebles on belly

7. gman

gman Senior Member

use big trebles to pin thier mouths shut ;) for weenies like me, it makes the fight go quicker!!! LOL!! :)

Ronnie ... hell of a bass BTW. Thats just downright massive.

On to trebles the fish a real big this year so it seems they are swallowing everything. I wish they would pin their mouths shut LOL. Most fish have the lure in their throat

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Bret I use singles on back and big trebles on belly

yeah thats my game plan for tomorrow. couldnt find any big doubles.

9. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

thanks Glenn! i am bored with the bassin, and need a tuna fix! Been sending out resumes in the Houston and Corpus areas to try and relocate closer to the coast ;)