United Composites Predator or Wahoo Jr

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Sea Bear, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

Which rod would be better for NE party boat tuna jigging for 60-80LB test and 18-20LBS of drag? Based on specs alone the predator looks more appropriate (50-80LB line rating) but back when it was GUSA it seemed all the talk was about the wahoo jr so figured I'd inquire before I pull the trigger over at Charkbait with their no return policy. Thanks.

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

If you're tuna jigging on a party boat, why not consider the OTI 600g based on your criteria? You can certainly spank lots of big fish with the OTI 600g and have lots of room to spare for bigger fish! OTI has excellent warranty and customer service policy. The new OTI G3 blanks are awesome and should be available now:

360Tackle :: Rods

It says out of stock, but PM "Minnow" (TJ) on here and see if he can help.

3. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

it seems they changed the specs on the wahoo jr,
    when GUSA made them for me they were rated about the same as the predator, but a little more parabolic.
    now they are rated a little lighter.
    with out feeling the new wahoo jr, i would go predator. (but i would want to feel it first).
    i usually like to fish and get some test time something before i sell them.

the OTI is another choice. and the come in 7'6" conventional.for 80#

i do have the OTI 600 production rods in stock.

i have stock of a few "older" wahoo jr blanks to build.
    and the OTI 600 7'6" blanks in stock to build.

4. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

I'm sure OTI are excellent rods but its not the kind of rod I'm looking for to use from a party boat. When your in the bow of a party boat and your fish decides to run under the boat in 8' seas, you'll want every bit of a 7'+ rod. Not to mention I'm looking for a "rail rod" anyway. I'm not jigging with japanese style jigs but regular hammered diamonds and other yo-yo type jigs. Thanks though.

5. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

If you're tuna jigging on a party boat, why not consider the OTI 600g based on your criteria? You can certainly spank lots of big fish with the OTI 600g and have lots of room to spare for bigger fish! OTI has excellent warranty and customer service policy. The new OTI G3 blanks are awesome and should be available now:

360Tackle :: Rods

It says out of stock, but PM "Minnow" (TJ) on here and see if he can help.

I'm sure OTI are excellent rods but its not the kind of rod I'm looking for to use from a party boat. When your in the bow of a party boat and your fish decides to run under the boat in 8' seas, you'll want every bit of a 7'+ rod. Not to mention I'm looking for a "rail rod" anyway. I'm not jigging with japanese style jigs but regular hammered diamonds and other yo-yo type jigs. Thanks though.

6. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

i have stock of a few "older" wahoo jr blanks to build.

are they the graphite versions or composites of the wahoo jr? also, are they "older" older wahoo jr's or the later line of blanks that broke and put them out of business :eek:
    thanks

7. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

the OTI i have are 7'6" 80# conventional rods..

8. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

are they the graphite versions or composites of the wahoo jr? also, are they "older" older wahoo jr's or the later line of blanks that broke and put them out of business :eek:
    thanks
    the graphite version.
    not from the breaking series:D

9. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

id get the wahoo for PB fishing. I have both graphites and use both, but the wahoo is a bit easier to use

10. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

So 1 vote for the predator and 1 vote for the wahoo. But hey, I've got an idea! I'll buy both, then sell whichever one I don't prefer. Who wants to be my buyerrr :D

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Sea Bear,
    I don't think anyone used GUSA Wahoo for tuna jiggiing more extensively than I did. In a sense, I think I popularized Wahoo rods for tuna jigging.
    That is great rod/blank. However, I seltom use the rod now as I found I can enjoy conventional up and down style jigging and Japanese style jigging with shorter rod. I highly suggest to go with 5'8" Jigging Master Power Spell blanks or 6' Super Seeper Hercules blanks. They are as strong as any rods/blanks ever invented and you can use them on railing. Super Seeker Hercules has 7' blank which I am going to test myself soon.

12. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

Sea Bear,
    I don't think anyone used GUSA Wahoo for tuna jiggiing more extensively than I did. In a sense, I think I popularized Wahoo rods for tuna jigging.
    That is great rod/blank. However, I seltom use the rod now as I found I can enjoy conventional up and down style jigging and Japanese style jigging with shorter rod. I highly suggest to go with 5'8" Jigging Master Power Spell blanks or 6' Super Seeper Hercules blanks. They are as strong as any rods/blanks ever invented and you can use them on railing. Super Seeker Hercules has 7' blank which I am going to test myself soon.

I would be interested in taking a look at the hercules 7' if you have it available. Even though I'm rather young I still can't kick old school jigging habits.