360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Underpowered?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  BretABaker 
#1 ·
Hi there!

I'm into a new JM 300/350 rod (Powerspell or Custom) to add to my jigging-gear.
Thinking of going to overhead this time 'cause want to target med-sized AJ's, Bass, Drum, Groupers, Pargo's (Snapper)30# to 80# size...
Line will be PE5 or PE6, jigs or lures 220-380 grs.
Trouble is I'm looking for a rock-solid, reliable LEFT-hand NARROW jigging OH-reel and was thinking of a Daiwa Saltiga Z30-L...

Am I underpowered with this choice :confused: ?

Any experience related comments/advice, pro's & con's or good stories are welcome!

P.S: I know there are lot's of right-handed reels to choose from and eventually could get used to using one, BUT i don't want to ****-up! So it'll have to be a lefty!
Do have an AVET-L but don't like the drag-binding so....

#4 ·
That Saltiga is a solid reel for that JM 300/350, but if you are targeting bigger fish like bluefin tuna, you might need more line capacity and stronger drag. I recommend you just pony up the $$ for a left handed version of the Alutecnos Gorilla 12, here are some places online to order them:

Alutecnos Gorilla Reel from alltackle.com

or call TackleDirect to order:

Alutecnos Albacore 12 Gorilla Reels

I have a Gorilla 20 and the reel is solid like a tank. The 20 is a good chunking/live baiting reel, you should stick to the 12 for jigging. Should make short work of your target fish species.

G
#5 ·
JM 350 is fine using a 3/0 up to around 24lbs of drag.....its likely fine on a 4/0 with a bit higher drag due to how the line comes off the reel but i don't know as i only fished it with a 3/0 reel.

JM 350 is more like a normal 500g rod as far as strength. if you plan to use 25-30lbs of drag then yes a 400-500g would be better, but most guys dont use this much drag consistently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.