·
5,457 Posts
Send me one, I will break it

d-a

·
Site Sponsor
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well they guarantee them to be unbreakable so... thats saying something there I guess!
I'll tell you something though the 65# drag test on the Hercules and still NO breaking is really incredible and sure is a tough act to follow.

·
Site Sponsor
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why does unbreakable suddenly make me think of this?

You'd sure never rip the hook out of a fishe's mouth with that! These blanks have backbone unlike that in pictures providing far faster,solid hook sets..I have used them for the Grouper digging here and plan to film the Jaws and Hercules taking this HUGE Goliath Grouper (Over 300 lbs easy) off the Skyway Pier..hes there everytime I go fdowm there to get live bait for the offshore trips...the water just turnsb brown as he comes up from the 18' depths..This will be alot of fun!! The rods are guaranteed so why not test them all for you against the meanest fish out there,,on film! This is coming soon in spring and I will be sure to post that up..heck might even give that OTI a chance to show what it can do agaionst these 2 blanks,,then we;ll finaly have a verdict now wont we..alot of cloudiness out here it seems,,so I plan on puttoing it all to rest quite soon.
I used to use those Ugly sticks when I was 8 trout fishing streams..they sure flooded the market with those babys there,and by the ship load,,shoot I recall them being sold in a Barber shop and grocery store too..lol
Heck now you have me in a rowdy mood!! I am ready to go wrestle that Goliath right now!
Anyone up foor some Johnny Cash and take a ride to Sturgis on a few Harleys??
Here lets ride with Mr Cash for a few~

Then after that lets hit the raod on the Harleys and head to Stugis..I have never made it there and have always wanted to see this,,and hope to mive coming outta it..lol

Im hooked not only on rod builds but now also on the vid producing now!hahaha

·
85 Posts
love ur work bro wish i could c one of ur rods first hand mite have to get u to build me a acid wrap 37kg rod hmmmmmmm might have to try one of them myself lol

·
Banned
76 Posts
Ugly Sticks have come a long way from the trout streams of back in the day. Best bang for the buck tuna stick on the market right now. For well under $100 they kick ass. Not the highest end rod to be sure, but more than a few tuna have found a gaff in their ass after being smoked by an Ugly Stick.;)

Attachments

·
Wannabe Tuna Fisherman
1,814 Posts
Being unbreakable is a nice feature.

Can it cast a 2oz lure as well as a 6oz lure?
Will it bottom out under 20 pounds of drag (or 10 like an ugly stik)?
What is the action like? Extra fast, fast, medium, parabolic, etc.?
How heavy is the blank?
How much does it cost?

I have a Calstar Grafighter that lifts atleast 62 pounds (I ran out of dumbbells) without breaking, but I don't think I will be casting with it. I actually bent the steel pin in the fighting belt when testing.

G

·
well bottom line is like anything else in life there are differences in $10 lures versus $40 lures and differences in $100 rods versus $500 rods. saying theyre all equal is false, but saying you cant catch fish with either is also false. brand name and blind arent the only reasons more expensive things cost more - but theres nothing wrong with adhering to a budget.

i mean - you wouldnt sit and say a stock mustang would smoke a lamborghini would you?

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
Jaws blanks are very nice, thick-walled, parabolic, jigging blanks.

Other successful brand names have used the same original 5'9" blanks over the years. Now the owner of Jaws has expanded the line to include longer blanks, and is also including a lifetime warranty too.

The owner is an avid tuna fisherman and a good guy... He does this because he loves it, like TJ and many of the other great sponsors here.

Not unbreakable. But another quality product and quality owner that stands behind what he sells. Nothing wrong with that...

·
5,457 Posts
everyone always wants to be a naysayer...

All rods can break, no naysaying about it.

d-a

·
652 Posts
All rods can break, no naysaying about it.

d-a

Sure, there is a finite point where anything will break but will something break within the scope of its intended application is the only thing that matters. Example, when Billy Vivona lifted 65lbs with a Hercules 60H I think you can justify the rod as "unbreakable" because if the rod can do that then it's not going to break on any fish.

·
Site Sponsor
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the reason I said unbreakable was I am sure I read that off acids site,,but anyways,,hey we fish with what we like,what feels good and works good for each of us...shoot I fished my granfathers OLD azz stick for years and years while others fished the newest of this and that and it was my LUCKY rod and boy it really was,,until a big azz grouper hit me just as i was leaning over to set it in the rod holder and ripped it right from me,(hadnt wiped my hands clean yet either from cut bait),the reel about knocked me out hitting me in the head,hahaha,..shallow water grouper digging is something else and the hits are so much more intense..40-45' in the fall
That was the end of my lucky rod..lol,,but it didnt have a name on it or anyhting at all special..I just believed in it and think that alone is a major importance when heading out,and maybe even brings the fish to you!
If something works for you,,why change it..

Well I guess whn I do my rod challenge ..I am definatly getting an ugly stick too to see how it fares against the mighty one,,hes there and lives under the fish cleaning station,,and everytime he hears the water hitting the surface and gets that scent,,he emerges from the bottom and will scare the crap outta ya..and eats whole carcasses,,so this will be a fun and instant challenge,,no waiting for the bite and action..its on right away!
Get the film a rolling!! This is gonna be a gas!
ave a great night guys,,thats it for me tonight!
Dave out!

·
5,457 Posts
Sure, there is a finite point where anything will break but will something break within the scope of its intended application is the only thing that matters. Example, when Billy Vivona lifted 65lbs with a Hercules 60H I think you can justify the rod as "unbreakable" because if the rod can do that then it's not going to break on any fish.

If you use rods within the scope of there intended application then you will never have to worry about breaking a rod. It's only when we push the rods beyond there limits that we run into problems.

d-a

1 - 20 of 28 Posts