UhOh...where'd my deer go?

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by Earl, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Earl

Earl Senior Member

Put feed in the feeders on Labor Day, got back out there tonight...good news is less hogs (only count 3 on the photos now instead of untold numbers) I guess stopping feeding the bastages for a couple of months made them go somewhere else (sorry Bret if they showed up at your place)!

Last year I had 2-3 nice bucks on the cameras including 2 8's one that should be a 120-130 class this year and a 10 pointer that was 130 or better last year so I really want to see him again...

Not to be yet...some buck around me really, really needs to be put down as he is spreading some lame butt genetics...my son took a fork horn as his first buck last year. Now the first 3 on my cameras this week look to be from the same crappy deer pa...a spike, a forkhorn, and a 6 point...whopee... :( Guess it could be worse. Hogs coulda knocked my tripod feeder down again and there could have been no bucks at all....and at least these 3 have shown up during early daylight hours this week...may be a good opening morning for my boy again...

Here's hoping the biguns show up again...

We did fish in the tank some and caught and released a few bass. My 6 year old caught his first - that was special. It scared the crap out of him jumping the closer he got... (sorry no photo darnit). Even had a few dove fly in the evening, not a bad day...

Earl

Attached Files:

2. shanker

shanker Senior Member

forked horns arenot as important as G1's (Brow Tines) that last slick 6, gotta go, no brow tines = worse thank spikes

3. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Hey Earl, Keep sending the pigs my way.. We'll trap or shoot all we can..
    sounds like yall had a nice weekend.. they will be more enjoyable when it cools off.. I cant wait..
    Have you ever put out buck Grub??? dump a sack in front of the camera and see what comes and eats it..

4. Earl

Earl Senior Member

I haven't tried buck grub yet - works well? I did put out alfalfa pellets, soy/corn mix, come 'ere deer, purina deer chow blocks, acorn rage block, and acorn rage mix yesterday with cameras on it all. I used all but the acorn rage stuff last year and the deer seamed to like it so we'll see next weekend when I go out there to setup a new blind.

Hopefully DEER will show and not every pig in Young County... :)

Yeah Shanker I have some buck around here that is spreading genetics with no brow tines bigtime. Last year I believe I had him on camera (attached bellow) - a 5 point. I'd like to put him down 'cause I think he must be the one messin up the gene pool but he doesn't show on the cameras much and never during the day.

Earl

Attached Files:

5. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Beast Feast

A lot of folks put out mineral blocks for deer. Problem is them are designed to add body weight, not antler mass. Then there are the expensive mixes sold, or you can do what some of my buddies from down east have done. By a bag of antler stuff and analyize it.

Here ya go, antler stuff on the cheap. By the way don't put this anywhere you don't want a big hole.

Beast feast:
    40 lbs salt(plain blue bag water softener kind)
    40 lbs pelletized lime
    20 lbs dicalcium phosphate (you can get from a feed store, feed grade)

mix together and dump into a pile

Pour on top 20lbs of trace minerals for cattle.

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Earl, that buck needs to go.... take him out if you get a chance....

Eastern ,, I will try out that recipe.. sounds very interesting....

7. Earl

Earl Senior Member

I'd gladly use my one buck tag to get rid of that fellow that's spreading his genes about like he is...so far though only his dumb offspring is showing during the day.

Earl

Earl, that buck needs to go.... take him out if you get a chance....

Eastern ,, I will try out that recipe.. sounds very interesting....