Tyrnos 2spd VS TLDa 2spd

Discussion in 'Reels' started by TK_82, May 4, 2009.

1. TK_82

TK_82 Senior Member

pros and cons of each reel.. anyone?

2. macka17

macka17 Member

Hi.

I've got a TLD50.
    Nice reel. But choice between it and a Tyrnos.

None. apart from any pricing.

TLD Plastic Frame.
    Tyrnos. Aluminium Frame.

Don't fish Heavy with Plastic. They twist, warp. And snap off at rod seat.

Macka17

3. TK_82

TK_82 Senior Member

Hi.

I've got a TLD50.
    Nice reel. But choice between it and a Tyrnos.

None. apart from any pricing.

TLD Plastic Frame.
    Tyrnos. Aluminium Frame.

Don't fish Heavy with Plastic. They twist, warp. And snap off at rod seat.

Macka17
    so would 80lb spectra and 50lb topshot be alright on a tld30II? or should i go with straight mono?

4. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Sell the TLD and go to the tyrnos if you plan to tangle with the big boys! I broke my TLD 50 on a big grouper in DEEP WATER last summer! Cracked where the frame and reel seat meet.

5. TK_82

TK_82 Senior Member

Sell the TLD and go to the tyrnos if you plan to tangle with the big boys! I broke my TLD 50 on a big grouper in DEEP WATER last summer! Cracked where the frame and reel seat meet.
    ouch man i would have been butt hurt!!! thats gotta be a huge fish to break a tld50...sorry to hear that man... but on the trip im goin is mostly fish 40-60lbs maybe a few 100lbers.

6. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

800+ feet of water, several pounds of lead, 250# braid, locked down drag+very big slab of black fin = BROKE GEAR!!!! Lots of fun though.. That was the final push that got me to go get an ATD50W!

7. shooter75

shooter75 Member

8. TK_82

TK_82 Senior Member

awww....the fish got away.... poor guy...but at least u still have your gear. oh wait the reel broke off!!! 1 for the swordfish!!!! that is a funny clip...

9. macka17

macka17 Member

Like I said.

TLD's ok for lighter fishing. But any heavy stuff.
    Go an aluminium Frame.. No matter what size reel.
    or you WILL regret it..

I got a Daiwa SLD30 2 spd. Yrs ago.
    One of the most underrated reels you'll get. For boat and rock fishing. Not jigging.

NEVER use braid on TLD's. They are not man enuff for it.
    Macka17

10. TK_82

TK_82 Senior Member

hey macka.. i was looking at that reel the other day too...would you rather pick the sld over the tyrnos if given the same price?

11. jig

jig Senior Member

I believe all the problems with the TLD series were related to the 50II, and fishing it in a harness with heavy line/drag. I don't think there were any problems with the TLD 30 and 20.

I have the TLD 30II and it is a great reel. IMO, fishing it with 80# spectra and a 50-60# topshot is perfect, and what it was designed for. You can fish that reel at 20# drag with above set up fine. I have for 6 years. It will hold about 350 yds of 50# mono, which is fine too (although I like at least 400yds line for this application, thus the spectra backing (300yds with about 100yds 60 mono.)

12. jliu

jliu Member

The weakness on the TLD20/30/50 reels is the frame where the reel seat plate is attatched. Under tremendous pressure, it will crack. If you stay with 50# or below you will be ok. It is when you use more than 25+ drag then you will get into trouble. You see that a lot on the West Coast rail style fishing where you lay the rod on the rail and button down the drag. That is why the two piece Tiburon, and the one piece Willfish frame were made to address the weak stock frame.

13. TK_82

TK_82 Senior Member

Jig thanx for sharing your experience with the tld with me it helped a lot. 6 years and sounds pretty durable.

Jliu 50# is exactly what i will be using and i dont plan on goin over 20lbs off drag cause i'll prolly get pulled overboard. and no rail grinding. i'll keep that in mind.

14. jig

jig Senior Member

TK, just a follow up: the rail is fine for your application at 20#. Most failures occured due to harnesses and high drags (the fisherman pulling hard on the reel alone, fish pulling hard on the rod in opposite direction = snap!). With 50#, I would fish drag at strike of 15#, then if you have to button down to get the fish up move lever to max will get you just under 20#.

15. TK_82

TK_82 Senior Member

TK, just a follow up: the rail is fine for your application at 20#. Most failures occured due to harnesses and high drags (the fisherman pulling hard on the reel alone, fish pulling hard on the rod in opposite direction = snap!). With 50#, I would fish drag at strike of 15#, then if you have to button down to get the fish up move lever to max will get you just under 20#.
    kool thanx jig. wat an amateur!!!-->TK82

16. macka17

macka17 Member

Hey. TK82.

I'm a Dawa man. I'd have any Daiwa. Over ANY Shimano. with the exception of the Tiagra series.

the SLD is a very good. very strong reel. Had mine for years. marlin.Tuna. Cobia Big cod. Samsons.

Never let me down yet.

Good basic reel. Great drag. Great price for what it is..

Bought it. and the TLD502spd at same time.
    Use Daiwa all the time. TLD sits in cupboard. Not even on a rod.
    Used it twice. Once. Nothing. Second time got smoked by a Tuna off Portland.
    They are NOT a serious Heavy fishing reel. Alright for a starter. Maybe..

Go the Daiwa. OR any aluminium reel. NOT Plastic.
    Macka17