Tying carbon leader on a chain ring

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Ralph Kuo, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Ralph Kuo

Ralph Kuo Member

This is called a AG chain knot, JM has been advocating it for a decade, but only few anglers have taken it as a knot. Most said it's not even a knot, but it's tough, not even a tiny twist at the leader, keep 100% of the strength. A protect fabric tube is also necessary. This knot is only suitable for flourine carbon leader. This is a poster that they never released, I gained it from Mr.Liu privately, he allowed me to post it here. I'll be back to post the steps.

2. Ralph Kuo

Ralph Kuo Member

Here it is!

Attached Files:

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Ralph

I have been noticing the knot in the various videos on the net, do you have any instruction on how to tie it? Google didn't have any results

d-a

4. Ralph Kuo

Ralph Kuo Member

Hope these steps will be clear enough,

Photo Zero is the things needed
    (1)first half chain
    (2)second half.. opposite and symetrical to (1)
    (3)After 6 rounds
    (4) 30 rounds then completed
    (5) My carbon leader knot ---tough. tough. tough
    (6) The graph from Jigging Master tells the steps

Attached Files:

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      164.5 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      121.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      124.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      127.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      132.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      135.4 KB
      Views:
    • JM.jpg
      JM.jpg
      File size:
      21.1 KB
      Views:
  5. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

That's continuously half-hitch, the same you do to finish Page Ranking knot.
    BTW, great idea Ralph.
    Thanks for sharing.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

so it is just a bunch of half hitches, or is there another knot to tie beforehand? i'm not sure how i'd feel about just half hitches holding on 25lbs of drag with a tuna making a big run

7. Ralph Kuo

Ralph Kuo Member

so it is just a bunch of half hitches, or is there another knot to tie beforehand? i'm not sure how i'd feel about just half hitches holding on 25lbs of drag with a tuna making a big run

Half hitch but in-out-in-out-in-out to take turn, one thing crucial it never has a knot on the "main" line, using 15 inches of the end -remained lne to weave a chain. The first half hitch is not so tight, but frm the second half, you can tie tighter.

I still have to say, very very tough. anyone can make a test.

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ohhhh, i see what you mean. i had seen the pictures wrong the first time.

how heavy FC line have you tried this for? if it works well for 80lb+ line that would be great

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Bret I think you would be able to tie it in Black water FC

d-a

10. Ralph Kuo

Ralph Kuo Member

ohhhh, i see what you mean. i had seen the pictures wrong the first time.

how heavy FC line have you tried this for? if it works well for 80lb+ line that would be great

I have tried it from light 15lb to heavy 120lb, but the fabric tube is a must, I jig only with this knot since several years ago, a friend of mine used a dragging machine to test several knot I am familar with, only this knot break on the line-fatigue, not at the knot.

Try and test, you won't regret.

P.S. Some thinner line I don't care about the knot length, I make them 30 rounds no matter how long the Kevlar line is. thinner line is not for monster anyway.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Bret I think you would be able to tie it in Black water FC

d-a

yeah, the varivas FC isnt bad either. id like to try the JM as well.

12. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Great idea! Thanks for sharing! I don't know why I never thought about the hook swing as a potential issue.

Have you experimented any using 2 passes through the solid ring? Just curious if this may be an option to using single pass with sleeve.

Thanks!
    Jason

13. Ralph Kuo

Ralph Kuo Member

Great idea! Thanks for sharing! I don't know why I never thought about the hook swing as a potential issue.

Have you experimented any using 2 passes through the solid ring? Just curious if this may be an option to using single pass with sleeve.

Thanks!
    Jason

Pass the ring twice is also excellent, but I cannot go thru the tube by twice the 120lb leader! ha..ha.., make the tube as long as one inch may be fine for what you mentioned about. I never thought of this knot until Mr. Liu from JM tought me . He said to me the story of this knot, after he had busted 6 times atthe knot and at a spot called " chicken's heart" by using a 40lb leader for very line-curious mid-size kingies in very reefy area, no drag allowed. And at that night, he found out this knot in his dream! Funny story ! No drag allowed. crazy man! but he was right for there is too reefy!

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Ralph,
    Is there any reason it has to be fluorocarbon leader lines ?

15. Ralph Kuo

Ralph Kuo Member

Ralph,
    Is there any reason it has to be fluorocarbon leader lines ?

Yes, Mono is too weak to suffer vertical pressure and scratching, that's why all heavy standup rods carrying rollers for mono, the knot spot of the chain ring is the main pressure for the mono.

The advantage of mono for leader is their softeness and stretchness! make every kinds of baits more natural. but for toughness and endurabiity of scratching, FC is the choice !

Tying mono leader on a ring is another thing, you can find out some big game fishermen use springs or hoofs as the protecting tube for mono. The springs and hoofs share the pressure. Very clever of them!

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Ralph,
    I am not a fan of Japanese soft, thinner mono leader lines. there are some hard, stiff mono leader line similar to fluorocarbon leader lines and they might work for AG Chain knot and I am going to test them.

I copied the pictures and posted on noreast.com, thebassbarn.com and fryingpantower.com.

17. Ralph Kuo

Ralph Kuo Member

Ralph,
    I am not a fan of Japanese soft, thinner mono leader lines. there are some hard, stiff mono leader line similar to fluorocarbon leader lines and they might work for AG Chain knot and I am going to test them.

I copied the pictures and posted on noreast.com, thebassbarn.com and fryingpantower.com.

Kil,

Pictures were not shot very good, hope someday someone can shot better photos. Anyway, glad to have these pics. posted by you.

18. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Nice going Ralph, I will post this on the Fishing.net site in New Zealand because these are better photos that I have and it saves me trying to explain how to tie it. Thanks buddy!

19. Ralph Kuo

Ralph Kuo Member

Nice going Ralph, I will post this on the Fishing.net site in New Zealand because these are better photos that I have and it saves me trying to explain how to tie it. Thanks buddy!

Hi Chris, noted , a good knot should be known by more anglers.

20. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

If you look, it appears to be a series of Clove hitches.