Ty’s First Jigging Report 09-OCT-2008

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ty2philly, Oct 11, 2008.

1. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Ty’s First Jigging Report 09-OCT-2008

Besides being my first jigging report, this trip was a lot of first for me.

This was my first time on the Voyager out of Point Pleasant, NJ. It’s a very nice party boat, that’s extremely clean and well run. The captain and crew are friendly and go out of their way to help you get fish into the boat.

Now to the fishing:

My fishing technique was purely focus on speed jigging so that was my focus for this trip. Everyone else on the trip that I could see used the Yo Yo style jigging with hammered diamond jigs. Otherwise it seemed like live squid and butterfish was the dominant fishing technique used.

The Voyager left dock a little after 5pm and arrived at the fishing site around 11:45pm. Shortly after arriving the mates got the chunk slick going and catching plenty of squid. The guys started letting lines out with butterfish and live squid. It was not until a couple hours after that when the first fish started to come in. Thats when I started to speed jig.

The gear I used was a 600g Hopper Rod, 5'8", Daiwa Ishidai Z40 (enhanced Saltiga SA40), the 33lbs drag on this reel in addition to the digital line counter was extremely helpful. I must say the Hopper Rod worked out very well. It was light and had plenty of backbone to turn my tuna around from the back of the boat on more than one occasion :)

Which brings me to my next first. This was my first Albacore Tuna, a nice 50 lb beauty, that put of a nice fight, that was caught on a 190g Blue/Glow Sand Flea by Eastern Tackle. This jig has a very nice action to it. Dropping it down its action is like the spiral dance that tuna do on their way up. One of the mates even commented to me how we was checking out the action of the jig and how he never seen a jig with that action. Basically on the way down the jig would zig-zag horizontally a few feet from left to right in a controlled radius.

My fishing trip prior to this one was Jigfest II in Wilmington NC and I learned a lot from you guys. I was able to duplicate that experience on this trip. Glenn, you would have been proud of me. I was channeling you and using your jigging technique. So if you were having an out of body experience, then that was the reason. hahaha

Another first for me was getting the big catch of the day. The mates told me that my 50lb Albacore was not only the largest for the trip it was at least twice the size as the other fish. Good for me, but I just wish the tuna season was not soo slow this year.

So to wrap things up:

All the tuna was holding down between 80 to 120 feet, so the 190g Sand Flea jig I used was perfect for the job. The Voyager is a very clean, comfortable and well run charter/party boat that I would use again. The 600g Hopper Jigging Rod I used had plenty of backbone, light weight, nice parabolic action and proves that a good jigging rod does not have to cost an arm and a leg.

With that being said about the rod, and to further my tackle addiction I want to get a Jigging Master Rod (400g or 450g). The Daiwa Ishidai Z40 reel was smooth, strong, light and the digital line counter kept me in the target zone the captain suggested, it did not disappoint at all.

Also the line used was the Daiwa PE-6, I am very impressed, it was smooth, strong and no wind knots. My topshot was 6 feet of 130# Fisherman mono. All in all, I had a good time, even though the tuna season this year has been very slow.

Finally, I am really enjoying the Speed Jigging technique because its more active form of fishing with a very specific technique and gear. So I am looking forward to doing a lot more speed jigging trips and I think I graduated to a level where I am a lot more confident and competent in using this fishing technique.

P.S.
    I hope to have better pictures soon to upload.

Regards,
    Ty

Attached Files:

2. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

congrats ty. firsts are always good.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Ty,
    Congratulations for your first tuna on a jig.
    How many hours did you jig on the trip ? We usually jig 10 hours nonstop when we go overnight trip to canyons and are lucky to get a few bites on jigs. That is one of the major reason why many guys prefer up and down techniques. Very few guy can jig with Japanese style for 10 hours. Besides, up and down jigging style is as effective as Japanese style jerk/fast cranking for tuna, especially for big ones.

5. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Ty,
    Congratulations for your first tuna on a jig.
    How many hours did you jig on the trip ? We usually jig 10 hours nonstop when we go overnight trip to canyons and are lucky to get a few bites on jigs. That is one of the major reason why many guys prefer up and down techniques. Very few guy can jig with Japanese style for 10 hours. Besides, up and down jigging style is as effective as Japanese style jerk/fast cranking for tuna, especially for big ones.

Kil,

Thanks. I really appreciate the compliment.
    I was hoping you would comment. I respect you vast experience and insight in the sportfishing world.

My experience on this trip was the same. Basically when the boat was not moving I was speed jigging. I took only two rest breaks. The first one was about 2.5 hours after we anchored. Then did speed jigging until well after sunrise. I had a food break, then did some more jigging. Shortly after that the captain took a 2.5 hour run to another location for Bluefin.

Yes, I realize that speed jigging is not for everyone... I guess I was just very excited to be successful with this fishing technique.

I look forward to my next trip and one day fishing with you Kil.

Ty

6. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

nice report

congrats ty. firsts are always good.

Thanks guys.
    Now its time to bag the Tuna and get it ready to give away to family and friends. I think I will keep one of the loins for myself :)

Ty

7. obtuseangler

obtuseangler Junior member

Way to go TY, glad you got that ishidai handle problem resolved. How long did it take you to land your fish?

8. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Way to go TY, glad you got that ishidai handle problem resolved. How long did it take you to land your fish?

Thanks Mike,

Not long at all. Maybe 12 minutes. I am still nursing a hurt leg, so I am sure I could have boated the Tuna in a bit less time.

Ty

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

hey ty, nice catch....50lbs is a nice longfin.

speed jigging works at times, but it is very tiring when you don't get a constant bite. i like to mix it up since you never know how they'll react......plus once i'm tired ill do that since it requires far less energy. i'm impressed that you were able to speed jig for so long.

glad to see you at least got a fish when out at the canyons...plenty of people haven't had that luck this year.

who knows, maybe next time it'll be a nice 150lb swordfish that takes your jig :)

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Ty,
    I have no doubt you will be very successful jigger soon as you have determination and desire. Jigging technique is important and jigging tackles are important, but in my opinion, the determination and desire is important more than anything else for successful jigging. I am asked often how long I jig and my answer is I jig until I get bites. :)
    I have jigged alternatively with up and down style and Japanese fast cranking style for tuna this season and the results are not conclusive as there were times one of the methods prevailed. All three bluefin hooked up on jigs yesterdaty was when we jigged up and down slowly.

11. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

hey ty, nice catch....50lbs is a nice longfin.

speed jigging works at times, but it is very tiring when you don't get a constant bite. i like to mix it up since you never know how they'll react......plus once i'm tired ill do that since it requires far less energy. i'm impressed that you were able to speed jig for so long.

glad to see you at least got a fish when out at the canyons...plenty of people haven't had that luck this year.

who knows, maybe next time it'll be a nice 150lb swordfish that takes your jig :)

Bret,

Thanks. And congrats on your great catch this week.
    I will be sure to mix up the jigging technique for next time. I will even use a spinner as well to really mix things up.

I guess I was able to jig for so long because I was just excited to be out there no matter what the catch rate was.

Ty

12. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Ty,
    I have no doubt you will be very successful jigger soon as you have determination and desire. Jigging technique is important and jigging tackles are important, but in my opinion, the determination and desire is important more than anything else for successful jigging. I am asked often how long I jig and my answer is I jig until I get bites. :)
    I have jigged alternatively with up and down style and Japanese fast cranking style for tuna this season and the results are not conclusive as there were times one of the methods prevailed. All three bluefin hooked up on jigs yesterdaty was when we jigged up and down slowly.

Kil,

Thanks for those words of encouragement. I most certaintly have desire and determination for sportfishing. In fact I find myself thinking about fishing even while at work and school.

Ty

13. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I guess I was able to jig for so long because I was just excited to be out there no matter what the catch rate was.

Ty

Thats not excitement, thats whats called passion. Passion for the technique of jigging. Speed jigging, slow jigging, whatever it takes to keep the rounds going.

Great job Ty!!! Like they said, Swordy is next :)

I haven't had a chance to ask, but what did you think of the new hooks? Did you get a chance to use them or where you tying your own?

14. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Thats not excitement, thats whats called passion. Passion for the technique of jigging. Speed jigging, slow jigging, whatever it takes to keep the rounds going.

Great job Ty!!! Like they said, Swordy is next :)

I haven't had a chance to ask, but what did you think of the new hooks? Did you get a chance to use them or where you tying your own?

Jim,

Thanks. I appreciate the compliments.
    Yes, I did use the new hooks and they much beefier especially the split rings and now the solid rings are round welded instead of stamped. Great improvements all the way around.

The blue/glow Sand Flea jig was incredible... thats what got the long fin tuna and it was my primary jig at night. I switched to the Ayasugi jig during the day, nice action, but the tuna stopped biting during the day. So I switched back to the Sand Flea to see if my luck improved. Like I said in the report almost all the tuna caught was done at night.

Any plans to broaden the range of the Sand Flea line? For example a 250g or 300g version with more colors choices like the Ayasugi jigs.

Ty

15. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Congratulations TY on a nice catch.

Sorry I couldn't make it on this trip, glad you guys had a good trip.

16. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Congratulations TY on a nice catch.

Sorry I couldn't make it on this trip, glad you guys had a good trip.

TJ,

Thank you, I appreciate it.
    No problem. There will be other times. Besides it seemed like you had your hands full with customs and getting the new OTI gear ready for shipment.
    I am looking forward to using the new spinning jig rod, also I might need a popping rod. I want to add popping to my fishing technique now :)

Ty