360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks
I only recently learned how to make up a twisted leader. The method I have been shown to attach it to the mainline braid is what concerns me though. A short Bimini is created on the braid and the twisted leader is attached cats paw style

Would anyone recommend anything different for this connection?

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure, I'll have a look and report back

I am firstly worried about the bimini working loose over repeated casting and secondly about the briad slicing the leader

·
5,457 Posts
Saqa - the methode you describe, is it the one shown on the Nomad videos?

Making Twisted Leaders

Yes it is.

You could try a modified albright, but it wont be as streamlined as the cats paw.

d-a

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup thats the one

What about the bimini, have you folks found that to last while casting or is there a better alternative

·
1,095 Posts
Bimini works for me. I use solid, not hollow, braid. I believe the Bimini is one of the most popular/trusted knots for forming a loop, unless using spliced loops with hollow core braid main line.

I had a couple Bimini 'slip' when I first started making them, but after practice and testing, mine now work fine. I've not had wear problems; but always check one's knots just in case... nothing is permanent.:( :D

·
5,457 Posts
Yup thats the one

What about the bimini, have you folks found that to last while casting or is there a better alternative

You will need at least 40 turns in your bimini in braid line for it to have 100% strength sometimes more depending on the quality of braid your tying it in.

Oh and no problems with it fraying any more than any casting knot or L2L connection

d-a

G

·
for loop to loop a triple surgeons is fine. for anyone who caught fish with the loaner OTI rods on the big e trip - you were fishing with a surgeons conneted to a streamline leader

·
Site Sponsor
816 Posts
Yup thats the one

Saqa
what kind of fish you are targeting?
there is a better alternative that involve a hollow line that has loop at each end, one attached to the main line with in improved albright knot, (my main line is PE line)
the other loop will go to your twisted leader loop, so you have loop to loop,
as for the shot leader you will tie a figure 8 from the end of the twisted leader,
that knot will be bit bulky and will stay outside the guide and will not interfer with your presentation,
i personally had a great success with that method and i use it for GT and Tuna fishing,
for tuna i use 100lb hollow and for GT i use 200lb hollow,
you can even go ligther and with this method you will eliminate all line problem,
the line travel smooth trough the guides:)

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
G'day, I am setting up for GT and looking for a quick but strong and reliable connection. PE10 line and 2 strands of twisted 100lb on one outfit.

Thats the first outfit. 18k SW stella and a 7'8" rod for large poppers

I have already worked out how I will setup the second outfit which is a 6500H Maverick and a 8'8" rod for small cups and stickbaits. I am planning on running 100lb hollow JB on this and directly inserting a single strand of 200lb leader into this

From what I can gather so far, for the 1st outfit, bimini to twisted looks like my best bet. Creating the loop in the PE10 using the Aussie plait is taking me too long and splicing a loop on the end wouldn't be practical while fishing. The area I will be visiting is where I have had fish on previous trips take me around bommies and coral outcrops and usually damaging the mainline beyond the braid to leader connection. I will be doing a lot of fishing at night as well as a lot of land based fishing. This will be over a two week period

·
1,386 Posts
Yes it is.

You could try a modified albright, but it wont be as streamlined as the cats paw.

d-a

Good point. The Albright won't be as strong, either. It will reduce the strength of the braid about 40% like most conventional knots in braid.

·
21 Posts
I've been using bimini to connect to the twisties for a few years now and so far so good. The only problem is I tend to get alot of wind knots and that can be a pain when the bite is hot.

I've been trying out using albright knot on the loop of the twisties and finish it off with half hitches and it looks ok as well.

The other option would be to go for the FG knot.

·
Site Sponsor
816 Posts
personally i've seen a lot of people using the bimini and all what they had is more problem,
but every person has his own way and mind set, at the end of the day if you feel comfortable and have the confidence in your knot then you should stick to it,
as for myself i did a lot of fishing this year and i used the twisties leader and so far i didn't have any failure,

·
969 Posts
Bimini's take practice. No doubt about it. But once you get it right, you feel confident that it'll hold. Pametfisher convinced me to go to 50 turns, and I also follow it all up with a couple drops of ZAP glue.

·
1,386 Posts
Here are a few stats when you make a Bimini: if you start with, say, 50 twists:

30 end up as the top wraps, and you get your mainline twisted 30 times also (good idea to untwist the line or you get so-called wind-knots.)

20 are the twists that produce the friction that holds the tag to the mainline. 20 is about enough to hold half the line tension. The other half the tension is held by the mainline.

But this is again a situation where a spliced end-loop in hollow would be even better than the Bimini

1 - 15 of 15 Posts