Twinspins: Fact and Rumors:

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Uncle Russ, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I don't know whether anyone out there is really interested or not, but when did that ever stop me in the past? I say that because I realize there are a large number of you out there--folks who eat sushi, drive Toyotas, go to wine-tasting parties, and sit in hot tubs with other men--who prefer Stellas to Twinspins.

If this constitutes an actual insult, please note that it is not directed at anyone who can whip my ass. So, gimmedeal, d-a, workin, Grescobia, and Drifter--you can figure it does apply to you!

I have been interested for some time in picking up a Twinspin SR-50, and my interest perked up again recently when it was revealed to me that President Obama was not deducting money directly from my checking account to provide sex-change operations to illegal aliens--yet.

I will save my old-fart political opinions for another time--except to propose a new motto for our military under the new regime: "Damn the torpedos--we're unilaterally disarmed."

So back to the Big Fifty. I did some research out on the web and found info from folks like Kil and MrBill, and also saw some indications that this is a completely new design--not just the same body and gearing as the SR-30.

Not so, says Matt at Accurate. Not only is it the same body and gearing, but it uses exactly the same drag assembly. Matt is usually up to snuff on their gear--wondering if anyone knows differently. Because if the only difference is line capacity--for fighting billfish and cows bigger than they grow in the gulf--those will not be on my menu until Sarah Palin takes the Oath of Office. The ancient Hebrews had a saying for when that happens:

And on that day, the Lord will be One and His Name will be One.

But I need to keep my mind on the subject: I also heard that there would be a Twinspin smaller than the 12 out during the first quarter. This is going to be my ultimate redfish revenge tool. But Matt says that, while it is going to happen, it isn't in development and there are no prototypes out and about.

Gotta go now. I hear the President just personally fired the CEO of General Motors, but left the Union President in office--need to give him a call. Best regards to all--and please forgive my statements about Stellas. I think everyone's sexual preference is a private matter! The President does not agree and will soon be putting a value-added tax on heterosexual behavior. That means in my case, he will be asking for 90 percent!

What's a Mother to do?????

Russ

2. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

I do know the body of the SR12 and SR20 are the same, the only difference is the size of the rotor to accommodate the bigger spool. I'd be curious to know if the body of the SR30 and SR50 are the same. If so, then the SR50 will be in the same rating as the SR30 in terms of fish stopping power. The only difference is you'll have more line on the SR50. Gearing-wise, the SR30L would be different that the SR30 and the SR50.

3. gman

gman Senior Member

Yup, I love wine, eat sushi and I'm pretty secure with my manhood and sexuality so if there is another guy in a hot tub by all means ... just dont touch my stuff HAHA

And by the way ... I Love my Stella's and wouldn't trade them in for the world. The actually fish great, get dirty with blood, clean up nice and kill fish. What's not to love

4. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

Stella's Rule, Twinspins Lock UP!

5. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

Just for your info and not to hurt your feelings ,but I have had my butt whipped by better man then you .LOL

6. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

By the way ,will the spool on the new stellas fit the older models?

7. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

MrBill: Thanks. That pretty much says it, and I can't see the need for one given the fact I won't be chasing some of the fish you guys will be. I saw one post somewhere on the east coast that complained about gear wear honking big jigs up in heavy current in some yankee canal they have up there. Still, even though I don't need one, I think it would be cool to have one--maybe it would make up for all those times I had to take my clothes off in the locker room and...but you get the picture.

Castmaster: I could have sworn the body of the 20 was bigger than the 12. I will check when I get home.

gman: Of course, I meant to limit my remarks to anyone who does all those things BELOW the Mason/Dixon line. My grandfather, who was named after Robert E. Lee told me you Yankees do stuff that no amount of explaining will explain. :cool:

Gres: I haven't tried it but I have heard they won't fit.

Russ

8. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

9. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

About 11 years ago I was quite taken by those shiny silver reels and started off with a pair of 665's. Within a month or two, I had added a pair of ATD12's. A year after my buying my first Accurates I had two each of the 870/665/ATD12/ATD30/ATD50W and a third of a few of those.

Over time it got to the point where I knew the address at Accurate by memory. That's akin to saying you know the telephone of your local auto mechanic by memory: it ain't a good thing :mad:

Sushi? -yes please, the more the merrier (tuna only, thanks).
    Ancient Hebrews? - fine by me as long as they stay in their mideast sandbox.
    Fishing reels? -I did the silver thing, I'll stick with dependable Japanese reels now ;)

10. txcards

txcards Senior Member

Russ,

As a background my wife and I have 3 foreign cars, two of which are japanese but largely built in the usa:D . The other is european build.

When I was getting ready to buy my reels, I called about 3 tackle shops in so cal that were close with accurate. They all said the exact same thing.

Accurates are built more durable. If you can't take care of your stuff........

Stellas are less work to maintain, more reliable (esp drag), and will usually last longer

I don't view these guys as having agendas, the reels all sell within $50. They want you to have the best product and be happy. They want you as a repeat customer. I didn't care either way, just wanted to be happy!:)

Now as far as the USA vs. Japan thing:eek:

I'd wager shimano fishing in the usa employs 2X as many people as accurate. Just my $.02

11. gman

gman Senior Member

In the end, While accurate was concentrating on making some of the highest end conventional reels Shimano was doing both spinning and conventional. Yes Accurate is american made, yes accurate has a good reputation but to think that in 5 years they caught up to Shimano who's Stellas have evolved over the years? Not likely

The fact of the matter is Shimano has a full line of spinning reels from top shelf to bottom they have been redesigning them for years.

Accurate Twin Spins are great reels, Ive tried them but they are no way even close to the smoothness of a Stella IMHO. But everyone has their preferences and loyalties

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

In the end, While accurate was concentrating on making some of the highest end conventional reels Shimano was doing both spinning and conventional. Yes Accurate is american made, yes accurate has a good reputation but to think that in 5 years they caught up to Shimano who's Stellas have evolved over the years? Not likely

The fact of the matter is Shimano has a full line of spinning reels from top shelf to bottom they have been redesigning them for years.

Accurate Twin Spins are great reels, Ive tried them but they are no way even close to the smoothness of a Stella IMHO. But everyone has their preferences and loyalties

agreed. itd be a similar argument if you said shimano will come out with a reel like the accurate conventionals but much better. kind of unlikely. both companies have advantages in different sectors.

13. erezf

erezf Member

Ancient Hebrews? - fine by me as long as they stay in their mideast sandbox.

We try our best :),
    Erez
    Israel

14. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

I fixed this problem by owning both Twin Spin and Stella. Now I have the best of both world. The only problem now is which one do I choose to use. :)

15. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Erez: Shalom und Gut Pesach, my friend and good to have you on the right side (ours) out in that "sandbox" that you guys manage to turn green everywhere you touch! :D

OK, so I was just trying to stir you guys up. All I know is that Gunsmoke tells me you can drop an Accurate off your tuna tower and it will come up cranking. But I'm reluctant to try that, because after falling 50 feet off my own tuna tower, I'm afraid it might hurt one of my crew. :rolleyes:

Bolo:Last I checked I have 5 Stellas myself, from 20K down to 1K. :cool: And the one I like best is the little 1K. It sits on a Loomis 3-piece ultra light travel rod and is spooled with 10 pound spectra. Biggest bass on it so far is just over 5 pounds. The little rig is out in the garage right now, covered with fish slime.

Right now I'm down to 3 packs of yellowfin ready to throw in the pot and boil for an hour or two the way God intended fish to be cooked. I need to go out for more, but if I pay for a trip on the Big E, I'll need Barack to bail me out. My Chevy 2500 HD may need parts soon and I need to call the White House and ask him if he will make any.

Regards to all.

Russ

16. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

boil? 2 hours? fish soup?

17. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

j2hunt: You need to kill the parasites. Besides, the tuna I catch are so big and so tough you have to cook it like you would a shoulder roast from a 15 year-old bramha bull.

Russ