Twinspin 50...and a perhaps a Baby Brother???

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Uncle Russ, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

OK: The first part of this belongs on the older thread about the B2-30 etc, but since most of it is about the new Twinspins, I decided to start a new thread.

First things first: On the other thread, tehtuna made his remark about not whining so much and I responded sarcastically--quite a bit more than I should have, I will admit :) so, anyway, tehtuna--you caught some heat for that post, but hope you won't let it keep you away from the board--what the hell. Gentlemen can disagree. So hope to talk to you again.

So I got to thinking that while I still do not agree with tehtuna about a 600 dollar reel being bad from the start--he is exactly right about the company doing the right thing on a regular basis. And, as Glenn points out, Matt at Accurate is quite simply the best. Finally, it is also ridiculous for me to baby such a reel by using it only for snapper or farm pond bass or guppies or whatever.

Soooo, since I needed to get the drags on my ATD 50 up to snuff and was drooling for more info on the Twinspin 50, I put in a call to Matt at Accurate and I'm going to have them look my latest 665W 2 speed over and upgrade it whereever they see a need.

While I had him on the line, I did ask about the Big Twinspin SR 50. The following is unofficial and entirely ballpark:

1. Gear ratio is thought to be about 4-1--which makes sense, seeing as how it would be ridiculous to put out a reel that size for 130 pound line in a 6-1 ratio.

2. He has never weighed the reel but says it isn't that much heavier than the SR30--a guess would be about 40 ounces.

3. The body is very close to the same size as the SR30 with a much deeper spool and wider drag plates.

4. Price would be around a thousand--again don't hold them to anything. That too figures in about right. So I'm guessing a spare spool would be about $225.00

Then, I couldn't resist trying to weasel him into suggesting a smaller say, 5,000 sized reel for bay fishing. And lo and behold, he said that had been talked about and might happen. Uncle Russ would have to have about 5 of those because unlike his growing collection of offshore gear, he might actually get to fish with them fairly often. :D

Russ

2. awesum

awesum Senior Member

Then, I couldn't resist trying to weasel him into suggesting a smaller say, 5,000 sized reel for bay fishing. And lo and behold, he said that had been talked about and might happen. Uncle Russ would have to have about 5 of those because unlike his growing collection of offshore gear, he might actually get to fish with them fairly often. :D

Russ

And since snapper can be ruled out I can only assume you'd use them for pond bass, guppies or whatever.....:rolleyes:

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

awesum: Actually that would be tailing redfish, specks, tailing redfish, flounder, tailing redfish, a few black drum, tailing redfish, even the odd sheephead now and then...oh, and did I forget to mention tailing redfish? :p

One morning on the way back to the coast, I did stop off at what is left of the family ranch near Hallettsville where we have a few small stock tanks. I didn't have time to drive over to the larger ones with the biggest bass, so I drove out behind my Mom's house. The smallest rig I had with me was a Smith 70MH with a Stella 8,000 rigged with 50 pound braid. I tied a 1/2 ounce shyster directly to the braid with a palomar and laid waste to those vicious, undeserving scum-of-the earth bass from 1/2 to 2 pounds. Little bastards never knew what hit them. If I had wanted to, I could have ripped their assholes up through their heads, like a bug hitting the windshield. I might not be too smart, but my brain is almost twice as big as those freakin' fish!

No guppies were in evidence. ;)

Anybody out there who still thinks Uncle Russ ain't a badass? :cool: :mad: :eek:

Russ

4. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

Russ, I look forward to your post always. They never fail to amuse me. :)