Twinspin 20 and 12/Rod Info

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Uncle Russ, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

The only thread I saw on the smaller Twinspins was from back in August. I didn't know what the common procedure is as a newbie on this board, so I chose not to dredge it up.

I talked to Richard today in Customer Support at Accurate. He told me there is very little they can say at this point but that the decision has been made to postpone release of the 20 until after the 12 has been released. And that is still scheduled for after 01/01/07.

The other thing he told me (may be common knowledge--I saw some references to custom rods on CalStar blanks) that Calstar is now building 3 rods for the 30. Catalog numbers are TSR-700H and TSR-700XH (I think the latter is for 80-100). The other is probably too light except for non-tuna type critters. I did a google search and only found one reference and that was a PDF from Accuratefishing.com. Yet when I logged on to the site, I couldn't find the doggoned things. Tried to call Accurate back but they were closed. I'm interested to find out what they cost. Probably $400.00 is too optimistic. I suspect when they stamp the name Accurate on them, the price doubles.

Russ

2. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Uncle Russ

$400 for an Accurate Rod is close but they're priced fairly reasonable for Calstar Grafiters. You'd pay slightly more than $400 for a good custom using Calstar GFR blanks and quality hardware.

GFR700H $325
    GFR700XH $320
    GFR765ML $340

I have the Accurate 700H 30-80 Conventional and the 765ML 6.5' 40-80 Spinner.

They are very well made rods with quality hardware.

Bazz

3. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Uncle Russ

$400 for an Accurate Rod is close but they're priced fairly reasonable for Calstar Grafiters. You'd pay slightly more than $400 for a good custom using Calstar GFR blanks and quality hardware.
    Bazz

I would suspect that you could have a custom 700h built with SIC guides for $300 - $350. The components would be about $200-$225 and $75 - $150 for the wrapping.

4. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I don't know why it is (I know it's irrational) but I like stuff to match: i.e., if I buy a Twinspin 30, as I almost certainly will, for offshore, I will have to have the 12 for bay fishing and the 20 for big reds in current at the jetties and casting offshore to lesser critters than tuna, even though those two reels and their respective rods would no doubt be over kill and overly heavy for those applications. Also more money which I don't have, and which I really don't need to spend. Rick and I are apparantly alike in that we like to collect tackle. The major distinction seems to be that he actually uses the stuff. Oh well, maybe I will too.

Russ

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Now Accurate is telling me that they have dropped the Accurate spinning rods but that I may be able to buy one somewhere. So I am beginning that search.

Question: If I have to choose between the Calstar 700H or the 700XH, (for use with the Twinspin 30 and 65 pound Spectra), am I correct that the heavy rod will produce greater casting distance than the extra heavy rod?

And will it also be suitable for deep jigging should I want to use it for that purpose?

One other question: With a conventional reel used for deep jigging only, would a standup rod having roller stripper and tip be suitbable or is there anything about rollers that make them just plain unsuitable for jigging? Or should the jigging rod be somewhat longer than the chunking or bottom rod?

Thanks.

Russ

6. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I found an Accurate 700H and a 700XH. I am now ready to order one or the other--leaning toward the 700H--before they are gone. I am also going to order the Twinspin 30 and an extra spool, each to be spooled with 500 yards of Power Pro (I know, not everybody likes the stuff, but they don't carry JB, and I figure I can put that on later after the perch break the PP! :)

Only question is, the guy asked me whether I want the high or low gear ratio. I didn't even know the low was already available. My chief usage will be casting poppers to busting tuna. My secondary purpose will be deep jigging, although the primary rig for that will be the 665HXM.

Your opinions would be appreciated as to (1) 700H versus 700XH and (2) High versus low gear ratio for those stated purposes. Thanks a bunch. It's nice to have my own private conulting firm! I am pretty good at some things too, so if any of you ever need any advice on ditch digging, feel free to call me for some payback.

Russ

7. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I found an Accurate 700H and a 700XH. I am now ready to order one or the other--leaning toward the 700H--before they are gone. I am also going to order the Twinspin 30 and an extra spool, each to be spooled with 500 yards of Power Pro (I know, not everybody likes the stuff, but they don't carry JB, and I figure I can put that on later after the perch break the PP!

Only question is, the guy asked me whether I want the high or low gear ratio. I didn't even know the low was already available. My chief usage will be casting poppers to busting tuna. My secondary purpose will be deep jigging, although the primary rig for that will be the 665HXM.

Your opinions would be appreciated as to (1) 700H versus 700XH and (2) High versus low gear ratio for those stated purposes. Thanks a bunch. It's nice to have my own private conulting firm! I am pretty good at some things too, so if any of you ever need any advice on ditch digging, feel free to call me for some payback.

Russ

Russ

8. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

I would go with the 700H and the low gear. The 700H is already a stiff enough rod to handle most tuna in the GOM. I have the same rod and it could cast a Tuna Hunter (large version) a mile.

9. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Thanks, bullred. New developments by the minute. I called Accurate (if you ever want super help talk to Matt) and the low ratio is not out yet--they are waiting for parts. He said he personally, as well as most of the folks there have handled really big fish on the high ratio reel (as most of you know) and he attributes that to (1) the length of the handle, and (2) the technique of pumping and not grinding.

Russ