Twinpower VS Stella

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Enoch, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

At what point would you consider buying a twinpower SW 12000 over the Stella 10000SW

[​IMG]

For reference:

Twinpower
    # Gear Ratio: 5.6:1
    # Line Capacity (LB/YDS): 25LB/205YDS
    # Weight: 625G

1. Would $100 difference change your mind from a Stella to a Twinpower?
    2. Is the SW build of the Twinpower still inferior to the Stella SW build?
    3. The current use is for popping, so which is the better reel?

Any input is appreciated.

E

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

i like the bling of the stella and cool drag clicker noise it makes
    it got me sold

3. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

The Twinpower has a bit of different bling.

I've never heard the drag on it though.
    I have a 20k sw but need some input on a 10k size reel.

SW concept, so does that mean the clicker on the TP sound like the Stella?:p

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

To me, the new SW Twinpowers are like a stripped down Stella SW. Why settle for second best when you can spend a tad more and get THE best?

5. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

enlighten me on what is stripped down about it please.

To me, the new SW Twinpowers are like a stripped down Stella SW. Why settle for second best when you can spend a tad more and get THE best?

6. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

No way for $100 diff. Maybe if it was 60% of Stella price.

Twinpowers are way overpriced right now IMO. bet you'll see prices drop, and on top of that they prob won't hold value like Stella will either.

So if you ever decide to sell you'll likely lose a lot more $$ than you saved...

7. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I'm not sure on the new Twinpowers but the old Twinpowers were Sustain internals and a spool and drag more like a Stella. This was according to schematics. I'd bet that they're a really fine reel but there's no real price break on them and I've seen some decent deals on the new Stellas. For a $100 bucks difference go Stella every time.
    I'd agree with Jason. At 60% or even 2/3's the price of a Stella, they'd be well worth the money.
    Fred

8. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

enlighten me on what is stripped down about it please.

I'm no reel expert but from the specs, TP's got 10/1 bearings vs Stella's 14/1. TP 12k are rated to 22kg max drag, while Stella 10k is 23kg. The smaller TP's don't come with carbon grips like their JDM Stella counterparts. Those are just the most apparent differences on paper. Oh yea, you can buy a Stella 10kSW in USA which will receive the full benefits from Shimano USA warranty, while there is no warranty for the TwinPower 12kSW since it's JDM reel. That alone makes it worthwhile just to stick with the USA Stella SWs.

9. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Oh yea, you can buy a Stella 10kSW in USA which will receive the full benefits from Shimano USA warranty, while there is no warranty for the TwinPower 12kSW since it's JDM reel.

I've never been able to figure how people overlook that aspect :confused:

10. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

:cool:
    No way for $100 diff. Maybe if it was 60% of Stella price.
    Twinpowers are way overpriced right now IMO. bet you'll see prices drop, and on top of that they prob won't hold value like Stella will either.

So if you ever decide to sell you'll likely lose a lot more $$ than you saved...

Jason,
    Thank goodness I havent purchased. I would have received some flame from you all. Actually I hadnt planned on a it but wanted a good opinion on the reel. Im not comparing which is better, I just wanted to know the use of the reel. Shimano doesnt seem to justify this reels position in the lineup.

I own a 20k SW stella and love the size of the 10k. Actually I'm a new owner of the reel as I made a purchase from reelsseller (thanks for the tip).

The picture is from google images.

11. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Lordhell, you make a important point about the JDM non-warrenty issue.

thats why I have the US versions. I can see this reel outperforming the Saragosa but not by much. Seems like Asia's marketing is top notch as they know their market very well.

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Lordhell, you make a important point about the JDM non-warrenty issue.

thats why I have the US versions. I can see this reel outperforming the Saragosa but not by much. Seems like Asia's marketing is top notch as they know their market very well.

The lack of warrenty does bother me. I'm not going to send my reel in to get serviced, and I can get the parts required to fix them.

As for the twinpower. If it was priced like the previous models, it would be worth looking into.

d-a

13. jordanis3r

jordanis3r Senior Member

Hey guys first post woo!
    I bought a TW SW 12000XG for popping - first trip out in the seychelles had plenty of dogtooth tuna to 49KG's, coral trout, YFT's and jobfish - all put it through it paces and it passed with flying colours ... same drag, gears and spool as the 09 Stella SW's (many parts interchangeable too) and is a bit more stealth than the stella bling - I actually prefer my TW!

14. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Thanks for your post!
    Any pictures of your TW and a bent rod?

15. seespotfish

seespotfish Member

I have the Twin Power SW 12000 HG. Personally, other than # of bearings, I can't see a real difference between it and the Stella. Living in Japan, it is a cost effect alternative my JDM Stella being that it was half the price. My $0.02.

16. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Okinawa has great waters opposed to the mainland.
    I allways hold a place for fishing in japan in my heart.

Great to hear abt the TP. Any good fish that you have landed with this reel?

What rod setup do u choose?

I have the Twin Power SW 12000 HG. Personally, other than # of bearings, I can't see a real difference between it and the Stella. Living in Japan, it is a cost effect alternative my JDM Stella being that it was half the price. My $0.02.

17. seespotfish

seespotfish Member

Okinawa is a definitely a gem in the Pacific. Unfortunatley I have not been able to explore it as much as I would like.

Anyway, I have the 12000 HG on a Zenaq Fokeeto Trevally for my popping setup. I landed a nice 30# mahi with it a few months ago. I just bought a TP SW 6000PG for my Hot's Boil Shot for some light jigging. I am looking forward to use it on the 4th.

18. jordanis3r

jordanis3r Senior Member

no real reel shots but a fair few fishy ones ;)

Jobfish and YFT poppin'
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Big Doggies!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

nice looking dogtooth!

those are some nice waters around you. how was the fight?

20. jordanis3r

jordanis3r Senior Member

pretty hardcore - huge swells so I was skating all over the boat trying to hang on - rod was a lamiglas heavy 40-60lb popping rod!