360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone play with one yet? I am looking for a high speed reel in that size and thinking on this one. Looks like very close to the stella in build, can anyone confirm if it holds up anywhere near the stella in durability?

·
4,723 Posts
If you're referring to the new '09 twinpower SW's, they are very Stella-like and share same components. Infact, you can interchange parts between the two according to Shimano and retailers. I would say go for it if you can get the warranty in Australia for them.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
It is very nice. I have done lots of research on it and it is very close to the new Stella. Saqa, I think you can get the Twinpower SW-A model, which is the domestic for Australia, it is very nice as well, I believe they only offer 3 models in Aus though. One thing to keep in mind, the new Stella and Twinpower has been recall due to the rusting roller arm bearing, there is one way to spot the different between the model that has the bad roller and the one that doesn't, on the box there will be a small circle sticker either in white or blue, this mean that the roller have already been upgraded. I am planning to send all of my Stella back to Japan in the near future to get this done since Shimano Japan offer free of charge for the new bearing, unfortunately the shipping is a killer from here to Japan.

·
4,574 Posts
It is very nice. I have done lots of research on it and it is very close to the new Stella. Saqa, I think you can get the Twinpower SW-A model, which is the domestic for Australia, it is very nice as well, I believe they only offer 3 models in Aus though. One thing to keep in mind, the new Stella and Twinpower has been recall due to the rusting roller arm bearing, there is one way to spot the different between the model that has the bad roller and the one that doesn't, on the box there will be a small circle sticker either in white or blue, this mean that the roller have already been upgraded. I am planning to send all of my Stella back to Japan in the near future to get this done since Shimano Japan offer free of charge for the new bearing, unfortunately the shipping is a killer from here to Japan.

Tell me when you do it and I'll ship you my 10000PG too lol. We can combine shipping :p

·
4,574 Posts
Jersey Brian had an 8000 HG Twin Power for sale a while back. He can probably tell you what you need to know.

I sold the older version and not the new model. But trust me, even the older ones have put some BIG fish on the deck.

·
998 Posts
I had been using a 6ksw HG jdm model for almost a year as my primary reel in the jetty and it had been flawless up to this time. The hardest fighting fish I caugh is a 20lbs jack crevelle which the reel handled easily. The fast retrieve is very useful during spanish mac and king mac season. I tried using it in the boat one time but did not catch anything worth mentioning.

According to Mr. Alan Hawk, twinpower is not sealed/waterfproof as the stella sw.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks fellas

We have the slightly faster 5K XG available locally but there is a massive pricing discrepancy on it for some reason. Almost AU$900 buying locally (might as well get the stella) From Japan the same reel is $600 delivered. I dont think the local distributer will have any grounds for complaining about lost sales. Warranty would be an issue but if it ever craps out, I wouldnt mind paying for the part

Topa, recently acquired 10k and 18k boxes both have lil round whitish silver stickers with FB-S printed, is this it?

Looks like this is one reel purchase I wont be able to hide from the Mrs, she works in the bank

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
According to Mr. Alan Hawk, twinpower is not sealed/waterfproof as the stella sw.

iyaman, I have been trying to look up this info but cannot locate it, could you please link me.

I am also curious about the anti reverse mech differences between the two

·
998 Posts
Mr. Alan Hawk did not review the twinpower but just made the comment when asked about if it is as sealed as the stella. I'll post the link if I can find it.

iyaman, I have been trying to look up this info but cannot locate it, could you please link me.

I am also curious about the anti reverse mech differences between the two

1 - 11 of 11 Posts