Twin Spin SR12 and SR20 comparison

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Castmaster, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

I compared the the SR12 and SR20. Pretty much the only difference is the rotor, the spool, and the handle knob. I assume since the body is the same, the gearing and internals are the same. Most likely power and drag are also the same. The handle knob on the newer SR20 is bigger and better compared to the puny round knob on the SR12. Today I'm going to have the handle knob on the SR-12 fitted with the newer SR-20 knob. Overall I'm very satisfied with the Twin Spins, all the initial teething problems I've experienced with the SR12 (drag washers falling off and handle getting unscrewed) have been fixed. The reel is very solid and will surely last a very long time. Below are some comparative pictorial of the reels. The SR-12 is in silver and the SR-20 in black.

Manufacturer's specs:
    Gear Ratio: Both SR-12 and SR-20 have 5:1 gear ratio
    Line capacity: 300 Yds of 50lb spectra (SR-12)
    425 Yds of 50lb spectra (SR-20)
    Weight: 26oz (SR-12) 28oz (SR-20)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z11/rbgrecia/PC05087920081205_16.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z11/rbgrecia/PC05087720081205_14.jpg

2. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

Yo CM,

I have been using both of them for some time and LOVE them. The ultimate for west coast Pick bite situations. Plenty of smooooooth drag and power for the retrieve. The 20 is awesome for that 120# yellowfin tuna and below sort of action. The 12 is just so sweet on the slightly smaller models as well as wahoo and other West Coast Long and short range stuff. Albacore and other smaller
    tuna are fantastic but these reels will just work them in so quick you barely will know you were on them. I hope you enjoy yours as well as I have enjoyed mine.

P.S. I also now have the 50 size and plan on using it for cow size YFT

Jamie

Icy Joe likes this.

3. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

Wow Jamie, a 50! I've seen and played with it at a tackle store, that reel is so massive. I'm interested on the 30L because of its low gear ratio, perfect for jigging. The 30 itself is already massive and I'm quite sure it's also capable of pulling cow tuna. I'm gonna have to wait a bit longer to get me the 30 coz now it's tax time! :( Thanks for sharing your experience on the Twin Spins.

Andre

4. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

I finally changed the handle knob of my SR-12 to the bigger knob of the SR-20. I chose the red colored knob to get some contrast to the all silver color of the reel. I think it made the reel look like it had an aftermarket handle knob upgrade. The feel of cranking the SR-12 with a bigger knob is significantly more comfortable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

Yo CM,

I happen to like the Platinum 12 knob on all 3 of my Accurate Spinners. I have seen some others with the new Boss Extreme knob and arm but the additional angle associated with them is too much for me. That said, I really like the feel of the Extreme knob on my other Accurate Reels instead of the ball. Just one man's opinion.

Jamie

6. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

Thanks Jamie, I'm going to check that out.

7. bigjay282

bigjay282 Member

whats up guys,im new to the forum and im very interested in buying an accurate twinspin im just not sure of which model 20,30 or 30L.are they the "go to reels" when it comes to spinning gear?any help is appreciated.:cool:

8. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

I have a TwinSpin SR30 - however, my "go to reels" are Shimano Stella or Daiwa Saltiga

9. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I second that, the stellas are reliable and smooth reels. The daiwa saltigas are built like tanks as well for lots of fishing abuse.

10. Cliffmaui

Cliffmaui New Member

Just bought a sr20...question I'm having issues, when line is pulled out the drag increases on its own, the reels brand new but been in a closet for a couple years....am I totally kooking it and doing something wrong or should I have this thing serviced?

11. gspot

gspot Junior member

I had a spin reel do this once. it was the drag washer stack in upside down. A service of the drag washers by some one who knows what they are doing will sort if this is your problem.