twin spin 30 vs. stella 20k?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by mad mike, Nov 27, 2008.

1. mad mike

mad mike Junior member

Trying to narrow things down one purchase only 100+ bft calstar 700h

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Both are good reel, but I prefer Stella 20k.

3. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Stella, Twinspin, Saltiga...

IMO, when you purchase reels of this caliber you can't go wrong either way you go.

Good luck with your choice. Trust me when I say that a decision, as difficult as this, will probably make you lose sleep, lol.

4. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I have never owned an Accurate, and I have no experience with the stella SWs, but I love my stella FAs. Stella FAs have 3 large fiber drag washers in the back of the spool and several smaller washers in the front of the spool. The accurate appears to have one large fiber washer in front and one behind the spool. I would prefer the reel with more drag washers and surface area. The stella FA wins, IMO, in this perspective. They both have 2 quality bearings in the spool. IMO, the stella handle is much easier to turn. I don't like stiff turning handles. I can't speak for the accurate, but the stella FAs are pretty watertight. The SWs appear even more water tight. Shimano also makes incredible bicycle components/gearing/etc. and this just carries over to their reels, IMO.

I think the accurates look better. I like the solid silver.

I really like the shimano handles.

Shimano's super slow oscilation works great.

Shimano FA is considerably cheaper.

Here are the schematics on a accurate

http://www.accuratefishing.com//pdfs/SR-30.IPB.pdf

And here are the stella 20000 FA schematics
    http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Spinning/03STL_20000fa_v1_m56577569830615160.pdf

HTHs.

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I have never seen a stella fail, But i have seen an accurate fail.

Take it for what its worth

d-a

6. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Doug: Just curious. What was the nature of that failure on the Twinspin?

Russ

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

the twinspin just doesnt have that many reviews. alot of people have them but i guess not testing them out or at least not posting the perfomance of them. there was a comment on deepjigging a while back about a twinspin blowing up on one of those exotic trips. no elaboration on the failure though. i will get one eventually .

9. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

I have two 30's but on my last trip I did not have the good fortune to give them the work out they deserve. I do like them though but I think the stella is a bit lighter and less bulky than the TS.

10. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

cuda, whats the biggest fish you got on the ts30? and does the handle get smoother with use?

11. gman

gman Senior Member

Shimano as you know has been a mass producer of quality spinning reels for decades. The Stella is a fine tuned evolution of this, it has gone through many changes over the years but once thing remains certain ... it kills big huge massive fish with minimal if any failures. I havent really heard of any failures on a stella but I have heard of a tremendous amount of failures on twinspins

Just as Shimano excells in spinning reels, Accurate is a great company who specializes in making conventional reels. They obviously got into the spinning game because of the popularity of them but IMHO they have ways to go to catch up. You cant warp speed up to make a reel and not go through growing pains, which they have in the first couple of years

I feel that the accurates are big. bulky and dont have anywhere near the smoothness that the Stella's have and I have tried both. They are good reels and I am not knocking them but I feel the Stellas are more complete, durable, finished reel that you wont have issues with

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Every reel will meet it's death one day. Nothing in my opinion can take a beating day after day when targeting big fish. I've seen one Stella get spooled twice in one hour. It was history. 35MPH at 38#s of drag without a slow down until the line hits the bottom of the spool will test any good reel. Nothing is safe from the mighty blue marlin. Even the 130 size conventional Penn's, Tiagra's, and ATD's have been ruined by this fish.

Three major reasons for a reel to fail:
    1) using the reel for species it's not intended
    2) lack of maintenance
    3) User error

Now, back to your original question of if you were to buy just one spinning reel, which would you choose.

If the purpose is jigging and popping, choose the Stella.
    If you plan on using it for trolling, chunking, choose the twinspin.

I don't think you can buy just one. You might think so, but in time, you will buy multiple spinning reels.

The Stella like Gman said is more refined and smooth as silk. It also has one thing I don't like on any reel. PLASTIC I've broken the chrome plastic rear protector once. I guess they use plastic to save weight. I don't care about an ounce or two. I'd rather have an aluminum housing protector. Also the drag knob at the end of the spool is plastic. Accidentally bang it against something and you don't have a spare with you, you can't fish. I've seen this happen once.

All exterior parts on the twinspin are metal. No plastic. It is a heavier reel, and is not a smooth as a Stella. Under a heavy you will hear the stainless steel gears doing their thing. If I was a charter boat that specialized in spinning only trips for customers without tackle, I'd choose the twinspin. It's more of tank. All machined from billet stock. I think it would hold up better with inexperienced anglers.

13. mad mike

mad mike Junior member

Every reel will meet it's death one day. Nothing in my opinion can take a beating day after day when targeting big fish. I've seen one Stella get spooled twice in one hour. It was history. 35MPH at 38#s of drag without a slow down until the line hits the bottom of the spool will test any good reel. Nothing is safe from the mighty blue marlin. Even the 130 size conventional Penn's, Tiagra's, and ATD's have been ruined by this fish.

Three major reasons for a reel to fail:
    1) using the reel for species it's not intended
    2) lack of maintenance
    3) User error

Now, back to your original question of if you were to buy just one spinning reel, which would you choose.

If the purpose is jigging and popping, choose the Stella.
    If you plan on using it for trolling, chunking, choose the twinspin.

I don't think you can buy just one. You might think so, but in time, you will buy multiple spinning reels.

The Stella like Gman said is more refined and smooth as silk. It also has one thing I don't like on any reel. PLASTIC I've broken the chrome plastic rear protector once. I guess they use plastic to save weight. I don't care about an ounce or two. I'd rather have an aluminum housing protector. Also the drag knob at the end of the spool is plastic. Accidentally bang it against something and you don't have a spare with you, you can't fish. I've seen this happen once.

All exterior parts on the twinspin are metal. No plastic. It is a heavier reel, and is not a smooth as a Stella. Under a heavy you will hear the stainless steel gears doing their thing. If I was a charter boat that specialized in spinning only trips for customers without tackle, I'd choose the twinspin. It's more of tank. All machined from billet stock. I think it would hold up better with inexperienced anglers.
    Thats what I'm thinking rather give up some smoothness for something thats going hold up I built up a 700xh coventional this summer. now this will be my jigging spinner, this is a real big investment for me so most likely I wont be buying another reel anytime soon.The jigging is yoo yooing diamond jigs here in the N.E. From mostly what I'm hearing its like loving a Ford or a chevy

14. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I just use a 2 speed conventional set up for trolling and chunking. However, people have used these big spinners for both. That is pretty amazing for a reel.

15. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have a definite preference for the Accurates although I cannot even begin to bring a lot of experience with either brand to the table. My preference is more along the line of applying common sense where MrBill applies on the water experience--where you have that much metal you are less likely to end up with failures.

I am waiting to buy one of the new SR50 s and the current plan is to have a short, "unbreakable" but somewhat forgiving (say 5' 4") 130 class rod built for it. The absolute best rod for this aging body I have ever used is the Braid Powerplay that gman let me buy--I think a spinner on this blank would be perfect--only they don't make the blank available. I would also consider a 760H.

Russ

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I have never seen a stella fail, But i have seen an accurate fail.

Take it for what its worth

d-a
    The drag of my Stella 20000FA is completely gone and I am going to ship it to Shimano for service. Didn't I say no reel is safe in my hands. :)

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I am waiting to buy one of the new SR50 s and the current plan is to have a short, "unbreakable" but somewhat forgiving (say 5' 4") 130 class rod built for it.
    Russ

UR,

I noticed charkbait just got a shipment of SR50's. That means the first production run is shipping. Fishordie got one before his 10 day trip on the Intrepid. I believe he had a 6463 XXXH Super Seeker made for the SR50. I wonder if he used it on his trip. I am going to buy a
    SR50 myself. I'm debating on the rod selection.

Ksong,
    It doesn't surprise me that you have worn out the drag on your stella. You fish every other day.:eek: That's a good thing. After it's serviced your good to go for another year.:)

I'm thinking of turning my conventional Zenaq Monster Buster into a spinning rod for the SR50. Cut four inches off the top to a total length of 5'8". Here's a picture of it full length at 6'0". It could have taken more. I think being 5'8" it should easily fish 30-35#'s of drag.

Attached Files:

18. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The drag of my Stella 20000FA is completely gone and I am going to ship it to Shimano for service. Didn't I say no reel is safe in my hands. :)

Kil

You have mentioned it. But drags are supposed to wear out, not freeze up. The question is did it let you down with a fish on?

d-a

19. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

All reels fail, there's no such thing as an unbreakable reel. On top of this basic fact, most folks here are pushing things to the limit with spectra and very high (relative) drags. Popping and jigging anglers are finding the weaknesses in all sorts of tackle. Whether it's the AR on Toriums, the shifting mechanism on B2-665's, or the seat arm snapping on Saltiga spinners, common problems make themselves known. One off breakages can be due to any number of causes: improper assembly / reassembly, poor maintenance, wear, excessive loading, poor design, even 1 random substandard part from a supplier................

When it comes to the Twinspin vs. Stella debate, I'm w/ gman all the way on this one. Shimano has been building not just spinning reels but all manner of reels (and cycling equipment) for a long time. The efforts put into each generation of their top of the line gear reflects not just the needs of their customer base, but access to literally thousands of maintenance jobs and repairs on the previous generation. This gives them the data to determine what components are most likely to fail and under what conditions. This is real useful data, far more powerful than the anecdotal evidence we get from each other.

Accurate makes some fine reels, the ATD in particular. The Twinspin and Boss series seem to need some refinement and continued input from our community. They may eventually develop the knowledge base for spinning reels that Shimano has, but it will take longer than the few years Twinspins have been out. That's not to say they aren't good reels, I just don't have the faith in them that I have in others. All that said, I will also always have a few Boss reels for certain purposes.

I wasn't a fan of my Twinspin before it failed, for a variety of reasons. I'll be sending it in to Accurate (already talked to Matt about it) to get a post mortem done. It'll be interesting to see the results as apparently I'm the only person to bring this issue to their attention.

And for what it's worth, I don't mind the plastic parts on my Stellas at all. :)