Tunas of The Arch

Discussion in 'Spearfishing' started by Memo, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Get'n Jiggy

Get'n Jiggy Ultimate Warrior

you were swimming in fluid like saltwater for 9 months before your mammy spit you out, :p if a baby is born into water she/he instinctively can hold it's breath for 40 sec and swim breast-stroke motion :D your born to hold your breath but this reflex recedes quickly as you get older.

You have an excellent breath hold sitting at a desk, try this... you need to kick in your mammalian dive reflex, slowing your heart rate below 60 bpm, this helps conserve O2, you can trigger this reflex with water (facial immersion) some splash water on their face, graphic temp change, pressure or combo. Facial immersion triggers mine. Once you trigger your reflex bet you add 30sec to your time. (don't do immersion alone always have a spotter) Also, exhale fully (force air out all of it) then make your lips like your drinking thru a straw and suck air in kinda fast like... this fills your lungs from bottom to top and you will get better times. If you open your mouth and take a deep breath your really only filling the top1/3. This is one step in the breath up process. Like Memo said a course is the best route. I went from a 2:40 sec static to 4:00

2. Get'n Jiggy

Get'n Jiggy Ultimate Warrior

Anuvat- When your breath holding and you feel like you need air, your really okay and can go longer. This feeling is a contraction, just relax and push thru them and you'll see how far you can go. As you progress in your apnea training you will get comfy with contractions and find them not so bad. My first time in water doing static apnea I had a contraction and came flying up for air :p My instructor said "you were having contractions" no big deal you could have gone longer much longer. I thought to myself... I've been choked out several times so puck it.... My next static I pushed thru them and made my target time just fine.

Its just your body saying "hey I need air" :lol: