Tuna with lures...

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by thunnus, May 9, 2008.

1. thunnus

thunnus Guest

Hi guys,

I have plan to go to tuna FAD which I never did before. So, I don't have a clue what or which one is work better for it and hopefully the cow one.
    I wud like to have the advice from professionals in this forum. Please help me to choose the best lure for tuna from my weaponry... :)

Would it be spoon, jig or stickbait ? I do hope you could find one from the picture... (crossed finger) ;)

Attached Files:

2. gman

gman Senior Member

I choose the long black one in the first picture that looks like a pen, always works for me ... oh it is a pen sorry ha ha a

3. gman

gman Senior Member

in all seriousness the second own on the left in the second picture is a tuna killer Smith Baby Runboh for top-water, most of the second picture will work as for jigs the first, second and third row from the left should work fine

4. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

choose the baby runboh for the top, and the R2S knife jig(pink)
    and go in confidence. more confidence if you buy 4-5 backups of each!
    welcome to 360tuna!
    tight lines
    -Brian

5. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

I would u se all the jigs on the bottom picture except the two on the left and the one on the right

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

None of those shown. For a Yellow Fin you will want a popper such as OTI sells.
    Jigs work if you invest the time.
    The ball point pen is your best choice to write the check for the correct lure.

7. jig

jig Senior Member

I would choose the popper directly above the pen first, and then the two largest jigs on each far side (ones a R2S; don't know about the other).

And I agree with Brian; have plenty of backups.

8. thunnus

thunnus Guest

Thanks you so much for the inputs, guys... :)

And I noticed, the 'pen' seems to become eye catching to some of you. Here it is... actually it was a real 'pen' but with a little bit touch-up now it's become a 'pen lure', hopefuly it'll be a 'tuna killer' ! :D

To be frank, it's never caught anything though...just wanna give it a try. ;)

Attached Files:

9. thunnus

thunnus Guest

Hi Lite Liner, thanks for the welcome... :D

No one seems interested to response anymore. :(
    How about plastic (baby squid) and 'buck tail'...well actually not real 'bucktail' but just a bunch of goat's hair. :eek:
    One of it, I added plastic from 'small kona head skirt' and aurora/shiny thread from fly lure materials... what do you think, guys ?

A few days to go... ;)

Attached Files:

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

On your original post, you said you are going to a "Tuna FAD". I assumed from the "Tuna FAD" that you were going fishing off the Hawaiian Islands, as they set out many "Tuna FAD's". That's the only place I fish that the phrase Tuna FAD is used.

Where exactly are you fishing and when are you going? This might help get you some answers.

11. thunnus

thunnus Guest

Hi MrBill, I'll heading to tuna FAD in Indian Ocean. The FAD located about 40 miles and up to 160 miles from shore. It'll be next week if possible and also for the end of this month. Well, it's gonna be 2 trips for this month, let's see how it'll going... :)

12. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Welcome aboard Lod........

13. thunnus

thunnus Guest

Hi Fred, thanks for the welcome... :D

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Those FAD's can be awesome or horrible. Sometimes they hold a ton of fish, other times not. The commercial tuna guys in Hawaii put a round floating long line type float on them. They also put a becon on it so they can find it. It's like putting out your own personal crab traps. You just have to find your FAD in order to fish it.Problem is it's so deep they drift out of range and end up as far as the Texas beaches.

They hang old fishing nets off them because they attract and hold lots of bait. The nets also get hung up in tanker and cruise boat props when the FAD becomes a floating to no where destruction device. The one you are going to just might be anchored to the bottom.

Are you going to be on a private boat or party style boat?

15. thunnus

thunnus Guest

Good day MrBill,

We are going to be on a 'party boat'. The boat is a traditional wooden boat for tuna fishing. I think it would be suffice enough to cater up to 4-6 anglers. As you can seen it in 'the third world'... :)

Any recommendation for the lures ? :D

16. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

That will be an interesting boat. Please take a photo of it. It's amazing how some boats still float and hit the water on a daily basis. Just take what you have in the pictures. For sure, the baby runboh and the longer jigs. I'm betting that the majority of fisherman on the boat will be using bait. You just might out fish them.

Good Luck