360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ted landed his very first tuna ever today, and damn near finished it himself on the very first try on the spin gear. Fish was hooked early in the morning on Friday's open boat trip on a Diawa Dorado Slider 14 pink/purple. Fight time was pretty brief considering Ted's first tangle with a beast on the spin gear. Rod was passed off briefly to aanopther crew member to simply hold the line while he regained his energy, and then finished what he started only 25 minutes before. Decked one of the most rotund "small" fish I have ever seen, a very girthy 66 inch fish. Fish was so fat the tail looked ridiculous on it.

We then had another banner day before the winds chased us in around 2pm, numerous shots at fish and epic implosions on many surface lures, with another fish in the same class released boatside after Capt. Corey from Plug and Play charters(great light tackle captain running a nice Parker 21CC for stripers, bones, and albies off the islands)put the BOOTS to this fish, locking the drag and palming him boatside in under 10 minutes for a very healthy release of a very green fish. Fish was hooked on a Tattoo Sea Pup in the "zuri" color. The OTI tuna sniper 40/60 continues to impress, beating this fish into submission quite quickly with some amazing pressure applied by the angler.

Fish were airing out good in the am, mixed sizes all around from low 40 inch to high 60 inch all over the place. Numbers of fish is astounding.

Congrats to Ted on a pretty impressive entry into the wonderful world of the hopelessly addicted.

View attachment 8898

View attachment 8899

View attachment 8900

View attachment 8901

View attachment 8902

View attachment 8903

Attachments

·
373 Posts
Another great day on the water for you and your sports Capt. Dom. Nice to see you guy's at Wally World after the end of a long day. Corey is really a stud and folks should give him a buzz if they want to do some serious light tackle Fly/Spin fishing for the exotics off of the Rhody shore. Man dude did we have a fun ride back to the ramp on Friday. Finally got home about 9:00 pm. after butchering up those 2 fish that John landed. Had to do pistol training class today with the wife and it was a chore to try and stay awake during the class time. Later on at the range I woke up a little to finish the practical exam of shootting the pistols. Gonna have to make another trip ot two before the snow flies, hoping the weather will give me another 1-2 windows to make it out to the grounds.

·
2,924 Posts
You'll never forget your first time

Isnt that the truth ... I never did, her name was Laura Miller ... oh snap sorry wrong first time ahahahahah

·
1,323 Posts
Isnt that the truth ... I never did, her name was Laura Miller ... oh snap sorry wrong first time ahahahahah

LOL. Bro, I think my first BFT was more memorable than my first girl......lasted longer with the fish too, LMAO!!!!

·
86 Posts
Congrats, Nice fat fish :D
I have seen impressive tuna sniper 40/60 in action few times in this site, I'm still waiting someone will post the 60/80 in action as well :)

·
969 Posts
Great to meet Capt Dom and crew in person at Wally World ! Your boat is even more impressive on it's trailer !

I'm chomping at the bit to go again and again. I'd probably pass up on our last Canyon trip to get out during this blitz.

BTW, that fish is freaking FAT !!!

G

·
thats awesome guys. i cannot wait to move back, ugh! :D

dom - that last pic is of the 40/60 right? looks just like what we talked abt. the softer tip ends up helping anglers when the fish is vertical.

·
Site Sponsor
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats awesome guys. i cannot wait to move back, ugh! :D

dom - that last pic is of the 40/60 right? looks just like what we talked abt. the softer tip ends up helping anglers when the fish is vertical.

We has another awesome day today.....tune in for Kils report, including a LARGE:rolleyes:

Yes, that is the 40/60. Corey beat the living hell out of that fish, and the rod definitely contributed to the fishes ridiculously quick release.

The 60/80 isnt used by most of my anglers, they prefer the 40/60 because it is much more forgiving in most peoples hands, whereas the 60/80 you cannot have any improper technique during the fight, or the rod will break the angler before it breaks the fish. It is a serious lifting rod, good for strong anglers who can handle heavy drag and can cast very well. The rod does not load up as well as the 40/60 on the pre bend, so as the rod comes through full flex to power and release, unless the angler imparts serious snap and follw through ,the lures dont get very good distance.

I prefer the 60/80 myself, although I have a favorite OTI rod, but its not in prodcution as of yet. TJ gave me an awesome 7' prototype rod, with a 30-80 stand up butt and a backbone like a telephone pole, and I am going to speak with him about a limited production for 2010, a Cape special so to speak.....

·
147 Posts
Hi Dom,
Saw you running and gunning on Friday. We landed a 60 incher. Big mistake not going out today:( Plans fell apart. Looking forward to the report from Kil. Hope to get out again this week when we find that golden window. I feel bad for the people that make plans to come up and the weather is just too damm snotty.

·
Site Sponsor
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dom have you used a 7.5 OTI 80lb rod yet?? if so any comments on how it performed on the BFT.

Yes. I really like the performance of the blank, but I prefer the feel and components on the snipers. I have trouble with the oversized, textured foregrip, as I use alot of hand strength with heavy drag when the fish are close.

If it were me, I would have a good builder take an OTI 7.5 blank and have it wrapped to specs.

I took a 65 inch bluefin in the canyons last Oct. with the 80# 7.5 and it whupped the fish in 1100 feet of water in under 25 minutes.

·
327 Posts
Many thanks to Dom and crew for a most memorable day. I was feeling lucky and knew that tuna cherry was going to pop on the Duskanator. Lol
Reading the threads for weeks and just getting into spinning gear all I can say is you guys make it look too easy! Amazing power these fish have. Dom said crank down another 1/8 turn and I’m think “What, more drag, sh**”

Thank you all for the congrats and the vital information that so many post here.

My first tuna fell on a Zenaq FC76-7 Trevally, Stella 18000SW, 80# braid, Page Ranking knot, 150# Stealth leader
I have to thank Sami and Paul for this awesome setup and answering many questions.

I got my second fish on Monday 10/12. Pretty much the same way as the first, blind casting about 8:30am the fish hit a Dorado Slider in Sardine color. I guesstimate it was about 50”.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts