Tuna Sniper Rod

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by papio, Mar 27, 2009.

1. papio

papio Senior Member

Any feedback on the Tuna Sniper rods anybody? Can't decide on the 60lb or the 80lb rod. I could get both but rather not. Anyone baptized one yet?

2. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

check post by Mr Bill
    From Dec and this week.

3. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I have only hooked one good fish on my 80# and it borke off after about 10 seconds or so...
    Other than that I can tell that it will cast a popper a country mile. When I was hooked up it felt like it had plenty of back bone...
    Definately my new favorite popping rod.

4. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

I just received few Tuna Sniper 60lb blank today.
    It's really nice blank and come with separate Tuna Sniper rod decal like the one on factory rod.
    Can't wait to start building it.

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I vote for getting both, since that way you don't gotta decide between the two! :D

6. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I have the 60lb tuna sniper and like it very much,set up and balance is excellent. It slings a shibuki effortlessly.

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Papio

I have thrown crazyjigr's 60lb and it does indeed throw a @90g lure very well. Its well balanced and the handle is a big improvement over the original popping rods. Just from my limited use with it, it would be great for any and all tuna under 100lbs. I have a 60lb blank that Im going to build as my general purpose GOM tuna rod. I have caught YF to 75lbs on the prototype 80lb rod and it puts a hurtin on the fish quick. I first thought the long rod would be a disadvantage, but it wasn't. I could cast farther, keep the line away from the hull easier and without any extra pressure exerted on me compared to a 7'6 rod

You cant go wrong with either, and I will most likely have both before the summers out.

d-a

8. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

d-a

whats your thoughts on tossing 60gram lures with the 60lb rod like the x-rap subwalk 15?

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

d-a

whats your thoughts on tossing 60gram lures with the 60lb rod like the x-rap subwalk 15?

I think it will throw them fine, I thing TJ was casting the 9 in sluggos with it and getting good distance.

I will let you know for certain this weekend, I will get Crazyjigrs and throw some on the golf course or water if the weather holds out.

d-a

10. papio

papio Senior Member

I'm leaning on the 60lb rod as I also have the 7'6" 80lb rod and don't need two 80lb popping rods. Thanks guys for all your input.

11. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Light lures on light line (pe 5) would be no problem, I tried some 75gm lures and it loaded good this rod has a respectable amount of backbone.