360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has all been asked a thousand times... I'm a pretty experienced fisherman but the tuna thing is pretty new to me. I'm trying to get a rod/reel/line setup figured out here. My main goal is to cast topwaters + soft plastics to BFT here in MA. Fish I've targeted in the past seem to primarily be in the 80 - 175lb range, with a few larger and smaller in the mix. This is going to be my one and only setup and want to get it right.

Reel - This I have, Shimano Saragosa 18000F. I have the bailless kit option on this as well, would be interested to hear thoughts on using it vs. going with the bail.

Rod - I've narrowed it down to an OTI Tuna Sniper rod because I want the long casting capability. 40/60 vs. 60/80? Just want to keep in mind the casting distance and don't want to give up too much of that, if there is in fact a difference between the two. FWIW, I've always leaned towards the light tackle side when striper fishing, etc., but I also don't want to be outgunned. But I've seen some pretty amazing threads about the fish that can be landed on the 40/60. Most of my plugs will be in the 2 - 3oz range with a few just a bit heavier, but 4oz max and rarely.

Line - Braid. Either 65lb or 80lb, I need advise here, both on strength and brand. I've heard the casting difference between the two is pretty significant, but how much so? Which is the better match for the rod/reel? Should I back it up with any mono or just do a direct-connect to the spool? Now the big question... what brand? I'm willing to spend the $ on the right stuff.

Leader - Do you match your leader weight to the braid weight? Or do you go up? Down? Seems that 10' of fluoro is a go-to for some guys.

I appreciate the help and any reality checks you guys can offer.

·
723 Posts
Hey Influx,

I have fished both the Tuna Sniper 40/60 and 60/80 for CC BFT. Both are nice rods. You will have a longer casting range with the lighter stuff with the 40/60. However, I suggest the 60/80 as you are likely to end up being out-gunned by a bigger fish this coming season.

For Braid, I suggest Jerry Brown 60 lb. Hollow core, and fill your spool with it top to bottom. I suggest the hollow core because it is spliceable. No more knots, splices are a 100% strength connection. And, you can splice an end loop in it for connection to your leader. If you do not want to use the hollow core, then either 80 lb. Jerry Brown Solid, or 80 lb. Izorline, or 80 lb. Tuf Line XP. All good choices.

For leader, I always go up. 100lb. is the lightest I use for BFT anymore. I actually prefer 130lb.

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
Hey Influx,

I have fished both the Tuna Sniper 40/60 and 60/80 for CC BFT. Both are nice rods. You will have a longer casting range with the lighter stuff with the 40/60. However, I suggest the 60/80 as you are likely to end up being out-gunned by a bigger fish this coming season.

For Braid, I suggest Jerry Brown 60 lb. Hollow core, and fill your spool with it top to bottom. I suggest the hollow core because it is spliceable. No more knots, splices are a 100% strength connection. And, you can splice an end loop in it for connection to your leader. If you do not want to use the hollow core, then either 80 lb. Jerry Brown Solid, or 80 lb. Izorline, or 80 lb. Tuf Line XP. All good choices.

For leader, I always go up. 100lb. is the lightest I use for BFT anymore. I actually prefer 130lb.
how do you like the 60-80 for bigger fish.
does it gettem in fast?

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Tons of good info, thanks. Curious why you go with a lighter hollow-core vs. the solid-core (60 vs. 80)? Is there a diameter and/or a breaking point difference? Or is it simply that the nature of the splicing allows you to go lighter on the line?

·
723 Posts
how do you like the 60-80 for bigger fish.
does it gettem in fast?

The 60/80 is a very powerful rod. A little on the heavy side, but powerful. You can put a lot of drag to them with that rod.

·
723 Posts
Tons of good info, thanks. Curious why you go with a lighter hollow-core vs. the solid-core (60 vs. 80)? Is there a diameter and/or a breaking point difference? Or is it simply that the nature of the splicing allows you to go lighter on the line?

The 60 lb. JB Hollow actually breaks closer to 100 lbs. of pull. It is really strong stuff. The fact that you are splicing instead of tying makes a huge difference too. The End Loop splice is a tremendous advantage if you like fishing Wind-on type leaders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts