Tuna Sniper for surf casting

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Enoch, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

TJ or others, can you weigh in on this one....?

Can the 40-60lb rated Tuna Sniper rod able to be used effectivly on the surf ?

In other words can it do double duty for offshore tuna and inshore casting?
    I'm guessing it can cast a 7 ounce popper over 100 yards, but will it throw metal and 3-4oz wooden plugs?

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

TJ or others, can you weigh in on this one....?

Can the 40-60lb rated Tuna Sniper rod able to be used effectivly on the surf ?

In other words can it do double duty for offshore tuna and inshore casting?
    I'm guessing it can cast a 7 ounce popper over 100 yards, but will it throw metal and 3-4oz wooden plugs?

I'm not too sure if the 7 oz will overload the blank, but I do know that the 3-4 oz lures are a perfect match for it. A shibuki is a little over 3oz with hooks and loads the rod well and casts a mile.

d-a

3. DanS

DanS Senior Member

My son reports the stripers have arrived south of San Fran. I'm headed to California in two weeks to visit him and will deploy my TS from the surf.

4. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Man you guys give me hope. I'll hit the surf this saturday to do some scouting.

I'm glad to see others have though about using this rod out there for stripers.

DanS, I am ready to see some stripers on the sniper rod.

This rod reminds me of the barrett .50 caliber
    Badd as hell!

5. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Man you guys give me hope. I'll hit the surf this saturday to do some scouting.

I'm glad to see others have though about using this rod out there for stripers.

DanS, I am ready to see some stripers on the sniper rod.

This rod reminds me of the barrett .50 caliber
    Badd as hell!
    Enoch,

I look forward to reading your trip report. Let me know when you want to do some jigging.

Ty