Tuna Rod

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by bigjay282, Feb 28, 2009.

1. bigjay282

bigjay282 Member

whats guys,I have a 50w reel and I have been looking at a 6' trolling/chunking stand-up Star Plasma rod,40-100,heavy,aftco rollers and stuart butt.anyone have any experience with this rod or know someone that has fished with this rod and if so can you give me any info about this particular rod.also any other brand of rods will be helpful as well.thanks for any help.:cool:

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

have you thought abt having a rod built? where are you fishing?

3. bigjay282

bigjay282 Member

yes,i have a kennedy fisher fiberglass blank that was given to me by a close friend,i plan on having that blank built but i also want a back-up,c'mon you know how it is,we could never have enough gear,lol.north east,New York,New Jersey and Mass. and Md.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ah ok. you fish party boats? if so i'd recommend even getting it made to 6'6". its just easier to get around guys with those high rails. if not then yeah i'd rather have the 5' - 5'6".

who is building it for you?

and yes i know the tackle addiction well. just remember, it's not an addiction until you admit it.

5. bigjay282

bigjay282 Member

charters and the occasional partyboat.I have yet to find someone suitable to build this rod for me,I want someone who is very familiar with offshore rod building,its a rare blank and from what i understand you cant even get these blanks any more so i want it done right the first time you know what i mean.oh yeah,its an addiction and i do admit it,i went with my partner to a tackle shop out in long island,n.y. so he can buy a blackfish rod and i ended up buying another reel for no reason,lol.

6. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

go custom all the way. you get what you want. cost a lil more but usually much better quality. instead of having something that anyone who walks in to bass pro can buy.

i got 2 customs calstars for tuna. one for a 50 wide other for my atd 130. for all of my other rods everyone is custom except for my gl3 loomis. and i have a tackle addiction... very very big one
    custom only way to go :)

7. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

You need to contact Paul708 on here! He just buildt a custom super seeker for me to go with an accurate SR-50. I have seen his work and it is nice! His communications are great, he gets all the data from you and really helps you through the process to get the product right. Build is timely as well, He shipped mine out yesterday so as to get to me in time for my Venice trip next week!

8. bigjay282

bigjay282 Member

i hear you,i will definately have a custom made up,i hear calstar was the way to go i too have atd 50w .

9. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

I have the same set up atd 50w on a 130 class calstar- has a nice feel, plenty of backbone. I use this rig for chunking mostly, although it works pretty well dropping bait deep for big grouper! That being said, I would probably go custom if I had to make that choice again, costwise it will come out about the same, calstar aint cheap!

10. bigjay282

bigjay282 Member

i definately dont want cheap,lol,i will check on Paul708,does he have a website?

11. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Send him a PM. He is an east coast guy, PA I think...

12. bigjay282

bigjay282 Member

perfect,im eastcoast as well.