Tuna rod ...

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by SRUPP, Feb 9, 2009.

1. SRUPP

SRUPP Junior member

I am looking at my list for a custom tuna rod..I have decided on Calstar 760 XH...and am going with Winthrop 130 # roller guides and Titanium roller tip..

I was now looking at the best "handle material and reels seat...aftco?? I saw a great seat someone else posted lately but cant remember the name....

cheers

Steven

2. rhale

rhale Senior Member

The seat you saw was probably an ALPs. I have always used AFTCO and have never had any problem.

I like Hypolon over Eva for grip material, and you might want to check out the Aftco Uni Butt or the Stora Butt for your roller rod.

3. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

My favorite grip is mooseskin. I have gotten used to Hypalon but I still prefer mooseskin.

4. Rooney

Rooney Member

The seat you saw was probably an ALPs. I have always used AFTCO and have never had any problem.

I like Hypolon over Eva for grip material, and you might want to check out the Aftco Uni Butt or the Stora Butt for your roller rod.
    I had a chance to actually use one of rhale's rods with Hypolon grip. Lets just say my next rod will have a Hypolon grip. Very easy on the hands and firm grip.

5. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

There's certainly nothing wrong with Aftco, but I can tell you the Batson ALPS seats are top quality as well. I just had a custom tuna rod built on a Seeker TSF-55XXH with Aftco Big Foot wind-on guides and an ALPS Centra-Lock seat. I'm matching it with an Accurate B2-30, and can't wait to bend it :).

[​IMG]

See Batson Enterprises - Page 70

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

SRUPP - how long is the overall length for this rod going to be once built?

7. SRUPP

SRUPP Junior member

Thanks guys you ROCK !!!Yes it was the Alps I saw ..looks wicked..

BretA Baker...Im embarrassed to say "I dont know" the blank is 6 feet ???I have never even seen a tuna live..and with failing health and retirement coming up in the next 36 months I need to get this stuff going to start planning trips for my DREAM..

steven

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i ask because the normal length for a tuna stick is 5'6" - 6'6". I'd prefer 5'6" or shorter due to leverage, but i had a 6'6" stick made a few years ago for NE party boats. The extra length helps sometimes on a party boat even if it is a bit tougher on you.

9. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

If it's a GF760H, it's 6' 0" rated for 50-130#

10. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

I would look for a reputable rodbuilder and have him help you out with what you are looking to have built. If you are fishing on a party boat or 6 pack you will need something different. It also depends on where you are fishing. For party boats I like to use the rail and like a longer rod.

11. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

SRUPP,

Either an Aftco or an Alps seat will work great for this application. Do you mind telling us more about how you plan to use it?

The 760XH blank is 6' long. It's also a true unlimited blank. My standard bait setup here in the Gulf is a Calstar 760M, which I fish as a true 80lb stick up to around 30lbs of drag and occasionally a little more. The 760XH is a beast, really meant for cow tuna. 30lbs of drag is just starting to put a nice bend in it.

For a grip, I'd go with a rail rod grip (heavy composite cork) if fishing party boats. With a rod this stout you'll only fish it from a full harness or the rail, so IMO, durability is much more important that feel. If you're not fishing party boats, hypalon or EVA are fine. I'd suggest ordering 1 of each (they're not expensive) and then decide between the two.

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

12. SRUPP

SRUPP Junior member

Thanks guys..I already have one Calstar 760 H...but for the next one is strictly for big cow tuna..and I want Winthrop guides(rollers..titanium tip ) I will try the alps reel seat...and have some names of custom builders..and want to see the diff between the H and xh the H has landed 200 plus pound sturgon on a Accurate 30...no problem..

I am hooking up the Accurate 30 with the Calstar 670h and the ACCURATE 50 w with the new Calstar xh..

steven