tuna rod

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by squidboy, Jun 10, 2008.

1. squidboy

squidboy Junior member

Im putting together a 80lb set up for tuna and need some help with a rod. Im a college student and dont want to break the bank any suggestions.

2. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

more information might help someone head you in the right direction. spinning or conventional. casting for tuna,jigging, or chunking or all? private boat or headboat? what's your budget? low end would be a ugly stick for a conventional reel. there are lots of options that will get the job done just not quickly....rick

3. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

Without going with a custom rod...ie Calstar, Seeker, Savage, OTI...

I would Look into the Fishing Tackle Unlimited Rods.....just under $200

If it breaks you can take it back, the have applications for Spinning or Casting reels.....and there is a selection, for your type of fishing.....

4. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

good rod for a good price are the Sea Magic rods if you want to sttay non custom. Or you could go to ebay and check out bar-bar rods as he makes some very good rods that are inexpensive when he uses the batson blanks

5. squidboy

squidboy Junior member

I would be a conventional rod, It would be used for my private boat and for party boat tuna trips. fished from a harness should i go straight or bent butt. chunking and trolling.

6. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

the bent butt if used in a harness probably should be a short bent butt. however if you want to troll the short bent butts don't reach the centering bolts in most rod holders so they have the chance of being yanked out of the rod holders by a strike. so if you want to troll with it get a straight butt and you can also use it in the harness. the regular length bent butt puts the reel a long way from your body and makes it hard to reel....rick

7. jureal

jureal Senior Member

A short bent butt is okay for trolling if you make sure to use a safety leash attached to the reels' lugs. The long bent butts are only suitable for fighting from the chair and not for standup. It is amazing how much more pressure you can put on the fish with the short bent butt.

8. hdc77494

hdc77494 Guest

Chaos has a short bent butt or straight aluminum butt standup with aftco rollers for $285. No, they're not custom, but they work and they look good. I have three of their rods. For a reel I would suggest a used 50 wide Penn or an Avet 4/0. You really don't need an 80 wide unless you're in Venice every weekend or routinely go more than 100 miles offshore. If you really want an 80 wide, you can usually get a Penn on E Bay for reasonable money. Sometimes they're cheaper than a 50 because they're not as popular.

Just my 2 cents.

9. hdc77494

hdc77494 Guest

Chaos also has the same rod with Stuart rollers for wind on leaders for the same $285.

10. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I like the Seeker classic series. All fiberglass. A little heavy but great workhorses.

AFTCO All Roller Stand Up Rods
    SC655XH-5 1/2'AR 5'6" 40 (50) 100 $304
    SC663XXH-6 1/4'AR 6'3" 50 (80) 100 $304
    SC659XXXH-5 3/4'AR 5'9" 80 (100) 130 $304

Fast Taper AFTCO All Roller Stand Up Rods
    SC6455XH-5 1/2'AR 5'6" 40 (60) 100 $304
    SC6460XH-6'AR 6' 40 (60) 100 $304
    SC6460XXH-6'AR 6' 50 (80) 130 $304
    SC6455XXH-5 1/2'AR 5'6" 50 (80) 130 $304

I have the one in bold. The 6455XXH-5 1/2 is my favorite chunking, trolling, and AJ rod. It will catch everything. Prices are directly off charkbait's website.

11. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Bellyups, I have that rod to. (its awesome)
    like BU says it is a work horse its a great rod.

12. squidboy

squidboy Junior member

I will be using an avet 4/0. I'll look into chaos rods. thanks

13. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I will be using an avet 4/0. I'll look into chaos rods. thanks

I have Chaos rods and never use them because I really don't care much for the blanks. I switched to Seeker and Calstar and never looked back.