tuna question

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by etan, May 31, 2007.

1. etan

etan Senior Member

What would be the pros and cons of using assist hooks on topwaters and flying fish lures? Maybe on the flyers the hooks could be lightly hooked thru the flyer the way bass fishermen do worms etc.

2. Skipjack

Skipjack Junior member

On topwaters it might make the top water work incorrectly because the weight of the assist hooks may force the "head of the plug" into the water. Maybe??

I bet it would work on the flyers but it seems so easy to just put a single hook through the nose?? I can't think of any benefits using assist hooks on the flyers unless you thread or hooked some type of nose swivel. That way the bait wouldn't get ripped apart if the hooks swing free.??

3. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

a single hook grabs a larger amount of meat, rather than a treble. hold them up to one another and look at the bends. A treble will "grab" more easily, but will also pull out more easily... FOr serious fish, I would use assist hook, or a single large hook.

For the flying fish, the single hook is used, then a treble stringer hook.. but a single assist hook would work just as well and can even be rubberbanded to the tail, or skin hooked(run it thru a small portion of the plastic with hook point exposed). I wouldnt suggest burying the hook into the plastic like a bass fisherman does with a worm. too much plastic to try and yank the hook thru, then hoping it has enough force still left to penetrate the fishes mouth. then you would have the rod factor- it would have to have enough backbone to send the hook home with all that line out...

I actually prefer the large single hook Mustad on my topwaters, I can sharpen those mustads like a needle and when they rust, they are so cheap to replace....

4. Skipjack

Skipjack Junior member

a single hook grabs a larger amount of meat, rather than a treble. hold them up to one another and look at the bends. A treble will "grab" more easily, but will also pull out more easily... FOr serious fish, I would use assist hook, or a single large hook.

Good Point...no pun intended

5. etan

etan Senior Member

I meant skin hook the flyer. You could do it near the tail. I know the hookups are a little iffy when they are fished the way they come rigged. I agree about hooks being replaced after using them. They are cheap and its easy to just rerig new ones. I make my own assist hooks and replace them each time also.

6. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Nate, I always use an assist hook when using Frenzy fliers. I attach it to the eye of the main hook via heavy mono. I use crmips. I then rubber band it to the tail. It works great. I recomend a big, strong, non treble assist hook with the frezy fliers.

7. awesum

awesum Senior Member

8. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

yes= the live bait hooks have the short shank, keeps them from hanging onto one another while flying thru the air to its destination. that would stink to see a few huge tuna blowing up on your lure to find out the hooks were fouled onto one another because they were too long...

9. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

I used both trebles and singles on poppers for a number of years and one advantage trebles have is frequently during the hookup they lock the tuna's mouth shut which cuts off the oxygen source and dramatically shortens the fight.

10. newman

newman Guest

On Grandad's Skipper Flying Fish there is a 2nd recess so you can position the hook in the rear 1/3 of the bait.

We have also fixed the issue of the wings comming off by using a better (waterproof) adhesive. The flyers are in stock in chartruse back, blue back, and glow w/ blue back. Cost is $10.00 unrigged w/ a single pocket lure bag. Rigging is available.

I know the website says comming soon still but our webmaster has had computer issues that have just been fixed and should be up any day now.

11. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

the fish could cut through the spectra on the assist hook, especially if a cuda hit the plug, but putting singles on the poppers is never a bad idea

12. gman

gman Senior Member

when I decided to go to Cabo in search of a billfish on a popper, Randy from Anglers Pro Shop custom rigged a Mangrove Studio Popper for me with single hooks instead of trebels. In addition he made the trail hook on a assist cord instead of a split ring for flexability and positioning purposes. Worked well as I hooked up and landed several striped Marlins

I also switched out the trebels on my Volador lure to singles for release purposes

Attached Files:

13. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

nice fish, is that a remora hanging off it's chin?

14. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

How effective is that is that volador lure as someone sent me two for Xmas

15. gman

gman Senior Member

when I decided to go to Cabo in search of a billfish on a popper, Randy from Anglers Pro Shop custom rigged a Mangrove Studio Popper for me with single hooks instead of trebels. In addition he made the trail hook on a assist cord instead of a split ring for flexability and positioning purposes. Worked well as I hooked up and landed several striped Marlins

I also switched out the trebels on my Volador lure to singles for release purposes

Yes that is a remora on its chin

16. gman

gman Senior Member

How effective is that is that volador lure as someone sent me two for Xmas

Its my favorite lure followed by the shibuki and the baby runboh. The Volador is highly reflective in the water. On that trip I caught Mahi, Tuna, Skipjack, Billfish and what appeared to be a small Mako behind it before I lost it. Very versatile lure. It also slayed the Bluefin Tuna off Cape Cod

Anglers Pro shop has them in stock