Tuna popping/whale watching combo trip on 07-06

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jul 7, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I called Capt Dom that he had to fight tuna on this trip as I was the only fisherman among four and I needed his help.
    My son, Steve joined the trip this time. He didn't like fishing at all when he was a child as I pushed too much to go fishing even before he was three years old. :) I was a little surprised he said he would join me for fishing this time.

We left dock around 4:00 am and we went to Southwest Corner of Stellwagen Bank first. It looke the whole surface was covered with sand eels, and we saw many fish on surface chasing baits.
    But they turned out to be big stripers in 25 - 35 lbs range. Many tuna fishermen complain about too many striped bass there and they regard them as nuisance. @(

While approaching to Provincetown at the tip of Cape Cod, we saw some feeding tuna on the surface. Chase was on. They didn't stay on top long and they disappeared quickly when we approached within casting range. While looking for any surface activities, several tuna appreared on top within casting range. I casted Shibuki and Dom used 3 0z Tatoo Seadog lure, but tuna ignored my lure and took Dom's Seadog. I knew immediately the tuna is a nice one as it took some line. As it was the first tuna and we didn't want to lose the fish, Dom and myself fought as a tag team. :)
    After fighting 20 minutes the fish came up to the surface and Dom harpooned the fish. 8* He lost 200 pus lbs tuna last week as gaff got broken and he didn't want to take chance anymore. :)
    The fork length was 64", probably about 160 lbs, but the fish fought very hard for its size.
    It was only 6:50 am in the morning when we got the fish.
    I asked Dom to go whale watching as two of them never see whales on the water before. When we were passing by Race toward Peaked Hill Bar, we saw many tuna popping up here and there.
    Roger called us that he was fighting a nice tuna on Shibuki nearby.
    He came to us by 7:30 am and told he released a 68.5" bluefin and was heading home for breakfast. :)

We saw the Black Rose fighting a nice tuna ( they landed 68" after fighting 40 minutes). It turned out to be one of the best days so far this year. Tuna were everywhere though it was not easy to hook them on poppers. Dom had anther nice hit on his yellow Ronzi.

We decided to quit by noon and headed to Green Harbor. On the way to the dock, we still saw some surface activities of tuna way inside of Bay. Another good day popping in Cape Cod.

OTI Tuna Sniper 60 -80 lbs and Saragosa 18000F were used to land the fish.

Dom fighting tuna.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I helped Dom. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seadog lure inside of tuna mouth.
    [​IMG]

Roger's special wind-on leader and my noname knot was used.
    We are going to dicuss with Roger's special wind-on in depth.
    [​IMG]

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/tunaCapeCod07-06-09035.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/tunaCapeCod07-06-09043.jpg

2. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

Awesome pics Kil!

Looks like a great day on the water!

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Awesome pics Kil!

Looks like a great day on the water!
    fish4stripers,
    If you want to fish for stripers, go up there. You can cacth all you want. :)

4. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

Nice work Kilsong!! Tell us more about that leader and knot..........PLEASE it looks like a nice option for casting

5. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

Haha Kil, I made this screen name before I got the tuna addicted curse.

yes we were in that area Friday, lots of stripers and blues. We got two tuna too but on the troll. No hookups when we cast or jigged.

fish4stripers,
    If you want to fish for stripers, go up there. You can cacth all you want. :)

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Nice work Kilsong!! Tell us more about that leader and knot..........PLEASE it looks like a nice option for casting
    I'll wait until Pametfisher post about his special knot.
    Capt Dom could cast far with the Roger's special wind-on leader.

7. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Lucky those tuna sniper rod won't blow up under high pressure with missed line on the third guide.

Attached Files:

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

That's not a bad arc without using that third guide. You probably didn't even notice it while fighting the fish.

Don't feel bad about missing one guide. I'm beginning to think I need to take reading glasses with me. I missed two guides last weekend on a conventional.:eek: That's actually a very common mistake. It happens more often than one would think. I was on a boat once where we had five 80W's out trolling big plastics. We had trolled over two hours before someone noticed the line only going through the roller stripper guide and the tip on all rods. All other roller guides inbetween were missed. Drinking the night before might have had something to do with the bad stringing.:D

Attached Files:

9. gman

gman Senior Member

Tell us more about that leader and knot..........PLEASE it looks like a nice option for casting

As Kil said Its a great connection and roger will speak about it, Ive been using it Al and its a great connection. It caught 4 fish this weekend and held up great as Mikie was using my set up

Congrats Dom and kil on a great trip

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

That's not a bad arc without using that third guide. You probably didn't even notice it while fighting the fish.

That was true. Capt Dom was so focused on fighting tuna, he didn't notice it until I told hem the line didn't pass through one guide. :)
    When you see big tuna jumping in front of you, you are out of mind and anything can happen.

11. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

That's not a bad arc without using that third guide. You probably didn't even notice it while fighting the fish.:D

It is impressive the Tuna Sniper didn't snap in half with that much pressure and a missed guide. Man, those rods are impressing me more each day.

Great catch.

12. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Great catch, congrats !!!!

13. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

KIL , Very nice fish !
    I have tried to break one of those Tuna Sniper rod , could not break one yet

14. AndyP

AndyP Member

Congratulations Dom and Kil. Excellent day and photos. Your son looked quite happy.

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

KIL , Very nice fish !
    I have tried to break one of those Tuna Sniper rod , could not break one yet
    I am trying too. :)

16. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

I want to bend my Sniper 60-80 like that! Nice catch Dom/Kil you guy's are certainly putting up the numbers this season.

17. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Since Kilsong got a spy-pix of it ...

I've been working on the design of a Casting Windon Leader for Spinning reels. The idea is to have a 100% strong connection that is very short and flexible and casts seamlessly, and also has a lot of built in redundancy and chafing protection in the Splice area.

Currently the splice is only 12" long and the Serve uses no glue or wrapping. The idea came to me earlier this year as I thought about how to implement a knotless system for my Stella 20K. Several Charter Captains and individuals have been testing the product for me and it's almost ready to go, but I want it to be at least 99% right. (Is anything 100%?) One of the testers has been brutal but very helpful. Gee, man, I wonder who that is? ;)

In case there is a commercial opportunity, it is now Patent Pending. For personal use, I plan to explain it when I'm sure I've got the kinks worked out. A lot of the thinking that went into this idea is in the Hollow Spectra II post in the tackle section.

That's about it for now,
    PF