Tuna Popper Rod

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by maybs, Jun 30, 2009.

1. maybs

maybs Junior member

Hey guys,

I have mainly done popper fishing for GT's and also light popper fishing for light tackle sportfish like queenfish etc.

I am going to Fiji in Jan (fishing with Adrian at Matava) and probably Vanuatu next year sometime too. One of the species we will be targeting is Yellowfin Tuna, and we are hoping to get them on surface lures.

I have a Ripple Fisher GT 79R and a Komodo Dragon. I was originally thinking I could probably get away with using the Ripple Fisher as a tuna popping rod, however, I would be interested in people's thoughts on this.

Also, I know that people use some GT lures for tuna, but I have also seen other smaller lures (which were very heavy for their size) which are presumably used ot try and 'match the hatch'. Not sure how the RF will cast these. Any tips on good tuna lures?

I figured I won't need as heavy a rod for tuna as for GT's (less structure problems etc), and might want something a bit whippier for casting further. I understand that the average tuna we are likely to get are 15lb to 50lb.

If I were to buy a new rod for tuna poppering can anyone make suggestions? I am assuming I would want something around the PE5-6 range..? (Any lighter and I am guessing casting a good range of lures would be tough)

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

tuna sniper 40-60lb model sounds like it would meet your needs very well

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hey guys,

I have mainly done popper fishing for GT's and also light popper fishing for light tackle sportfish like queenfish etc.

I am going to Fiji in Jan (fishing with Adrian at Matava) and probably Vanuatu next year sometime too. One of the species we will be targeting is Yellowfin Tuna, and we are hoping to get them on surface lures.

I have a Ripple Fisher GT 79R and a Komodo Dragon. I was originally thinking I could probably get away with using the Ripple Fisher as a tuna popping rod, however, I would be interested in people's thoughts on this.

Also, I know that people use some GT lures for tuna, but I have also seen other smaller lures (which were very heavy for their size) which are presumably used ot try and 'match the hatch'. Not sure how the RF will cast these. Any tips on good tuna lures?

I figured I won't need as heavy a rod for tuna as for GT's (less structure problems etc), and might want something a bit whippier for casting further. I understand that the average tuna we are likely to get are 15lb to 50lb.

If I were to buy a new rod for tuna poppering can anyone make suggestions? I am assuming I would want something around the PE5-6 range..? (Any lighter and I am guessing casting a good range of lures would be tough)

If the average tuna are in 50 lb, popping rods rated to 4 - 6 should be more than enough as we landed 150 lbs tuna with PE4 - 6 rated Tuna Sniper or OR Black Deveil 100. Also you need rods with lighter tips to cast small lures in 30g - 50g when they feed small baits. (small tuna most likely feed on small baits)

You might need longer rods than GT rods as you need to cast farther to chase tuna.

I thinkg Ripple Fisher GT79R and Smith Komodo Dragon are too heavy for 50 lbs tuna. You can land 150 - 200 lbs tuba with the rods.
    Here are rods I can consider for smaller tuna.

OTI Tuna Sniper 40 - 60 lbs
    OR Black Devil 100 40 - 60 bs
    Shimano Caranx Kaibutsu Pencil Instrument PE4 - PE6
    Carpenter OMA 92
    Ripple Fisher Trevally 80/Tuna86

If tuna are in 20 - 40 lbs range, you might consider Pe3 -PE5 popping rods