Tuna Max build

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by rhale, Feb 19, 2009.

1. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Well I got the fever again so I got started on a XXH Tuna Max blank that I got from APS when they went on sale. I let the blank sit since last year because I was not sure what reel I wanted to build it for but after a recent trip where I got to use a SW 10000 I made my decision.

I cut it down a bit and the overall length is going to be 5'2" and will be my shortest jigging rod. I went with Aftco gimbal and reel seat, hypalon grips, and Fuji concept guides.

Right now I have 2 more guides and the tip to wrap, then the finish and it will be done. I plan to take some lift pics once its finished.

Attached Files:

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

thats gonna be a very nice set up.

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Nice. Like the simple colors the best.

Was it Fred's 10000?

d-a

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Double post. Damn Iphone

d-a

5. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Ronnie, It looks great. It'll be a powerful rod. I bought an XH and a Parabolique XH from the same sale. At least one of them (and likely both) will be wrapped spinners.

Fred

6. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Nice. Like the simple colors the best.

Was it Fred's 10000?

d-a

Yeah, I used Fred's and Andy's for a little while. I wanted to get the PG but thats alot more $$$ and no warranty for a lower gear ratio and I just could not do it.

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The 10000pg is what I am wanting too. I can reel faster if needed and the power gear helps when you have a fish on.

d-a

8. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

That XXH is a beast! Rod looks sweet... Is it black, gold and silver, or is that charcoal on top too?

9. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I used a metalic pewter for the underwraps, dark grey on the guides, and silver/gold bands.

I have tried and tried to get good pics of my rod builds and cant get my G7 to produce. Its way to much reflection with the flash and not bright enough without. Any suggestions?

10. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

11. markm

markm Member

Nice looking rod you have underway there. I have the same blank I am planning to build in the next month or so. what reel seat did you end up using? I am thinking 20 mm but am not completely sure. Also did you double wrap the guides? Thanks.
    MM

12. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I used an Aftco #2 reel seat, and yes I double wrap all guides on my offshore rods. The rod is now finished and is ready for action.