Tuna Max at AP

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by papio, Jul 16, 2008.

1. papio

papio Senior Member

Hey guys, Anglers Pro Shop got their Tuna Max rods and blanks at 30% off.:)
    Got my attention but rear grips are too short :mad: May still look in to it. Good price with titianium guides.:D

2. jureal

jureal Senior Member

I need to quit buying. Another 260 gone.

3. papio

papio Senior Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been waiting on the Patriot Design rods to come available for awhile now. Someone please help me. Why did I just spend $350 on a new Tuna Max?? Feels good though, hehehe.

4. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

I want to get some of those blanks.

5. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

My buddy has a tuna max from APS, paired up with a salitga spinner I believe. It was very nice to fish with. Seemed to have a lot of back bone. and also felt well balanced.

6. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

papio if you need patriot design rods let me know I know where to get em

7. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been waiting on the Patriot Design rods to come available for awhile now. Someone please help me. Why did I just spend $350 on a new Tuna Max?? Feels good though, hehehe.

papio,

I have one of the new PD jigging rods, the Imperial Ultimate 59. I'd be happy to answer any questions about 'em.

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i like the tuna max rods. i hope they have some XXH conventionals

9. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Finished rods are getting scarce. More blanks available but one is listed as sold out now. Must be a run on them.

10. papio

papio Senior Member

PeterK814, Sea Crappie,

Hey thanks guys, I'll PM you later as I need time to recover after purchasing a Tuna Max BG B52XXH Titanium conventional (price was too good to pass).

Sea Crappie, what's your over all assessment on the Ultimate 59 ?

11. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

12. ambermax

ambermax Member

13. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Great video ambermax.... Which blank is that?

14. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

OK guys... dumb question... What is the difference in the spinning and conventional blanks? I wasn't going to even ask, but I've noticed that Tuna Max isn't the only mfg that lists blanks this way.

The tapers look similar. Are they just listed like that because those are the blanks that match with the "factory built" rods? Or is there an actual design difference that I can't see?

Thanks,
    Jason

15. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Jason, I hope nobody thinks that's dumb, was wondering the same thing myself.

Fred

16. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Jason and Fred: I couldn't find the reference you guys are referring to--must be old age. I would hope that Paul or Kevin would answer this, but I do know that rod blanks are said to have "spine" such that they bend differently and you would take that into account when building either a spinner or a conventional (i.e., you would turn the rod 180 degrees between the two types. I could have that wrong, and either way, it is as far as my knowledge goes--I am not noted as the premier rod builder in the United States. :) But maybe that was what you are thinking about.

Russ

17. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

yeah. the rods are built on spine
    like russ said, usually different spine from conv to spin
    but
    when you have a blank.. they can be built conv or spin.
    it usually doesnt matter

there are some blanks that may work better as a spin or conv rod

18. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

OK guys... dumb question... What is the difference in the spinning and conventional blanks? I wasn't going to even ask, but I've noticed that Tuna Max isn't the only mfg that lists blanks this way.

The tapers look similar. Are they just listed like that because those are the blanks that match with the "factory built" rods? Or is there an actual design difference that I can't see?

Thanks,
    Jason
    actually there may be a few.(very limited if any).that the specs change on, from conv to spin model #

but usually it doesnt matter how you build

19. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Thanks! I didn't figure there was any difference.

The 5'2" Heavy Conventional seems like a nice light-weight blank, and I was thinking of getting another for a medium weight spinner. Has anyone built this blank or used the factory-built rod??

Thanks again!
    Jason

20. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Thanks! I didn't figure there was any difference.

The 5'2" Heavy Conventional seems like a nice light-weight blank, and I was thinking of getting another for a medium weight spinner. Has anyone built this blank or used the factory-built rod??

Thanks again!
    Jason
    check with jersey brian..he brought some tuna max here..a spinner..not sure what blank
    it may have been a medium?