Tuna Marinade?

Discussion in 'Food and Recipe' started by bighead, Dec 14, 2006.

1. bighead

bighead Senior Member

Can anybody recommend a good marinade/seasoning they have used on tuna?
    Thanks, Bert

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Hey Bert.. sams club sells yoshida's gourmet sauces.. the teriyaki is pretty good to brush on as you grill. I am sure some others have some good ones as well. I also dredge the tuna steak in crushed red pepper and blacken it in an iron skillet w/ butter and olive oil. // It seems with tuna it tastes better if you keep it simple. We tried to get fancy one night with different sauces and spices and it turned out terrible.

3. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

melted butter...one stick
    3 mashed cloves of garlic
    juice of one lemon
    2 tablespoonsful of soy sauce

melt butter with garlic cloves in microwave or sautee' over stove with garlic. Add lemon juice and soy sauce. When cooled....soak tuna...or any fish...in the marinade and grill.

4. bpitcher

bpitcher Senior Member

I personally like plain old teryaki marinade. Bbq ain't half bad either...

Brad

5. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

1/4 cup soy sauce
    Add Wasabi, Brown Sugar and Rice Wine Vinegar to taste. This is normally at least 1tbs of sugar and vinegar and 2 pea sized mounds of wasabi powder.

6. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

Hoisen sauce is the bomb. I marinade them in hoisen and then grill. The hoisen is a sweet sauce that can be found in the asian section of the grocery store. I usually add a little soy to the mix too. Makes for some awesome grilling. I found out about the hoisen due to brets mixture. I just toyed around with a bunch of mixes till I found one I liked a whole bunch. I too add crushed red and black pepper

7. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I found a pepper seared tuna recipe by bobby flay that is very good, but when you cook it the smoke runs everyone out of the house hacking and crying. It has chile de arbol, chile cascabel, and two or three other crushed chile's, you can find most of the dried peppers in the mex-food section. Here it is.... try it and let me know if you like it.

Sixteen Spice Seared Tuna with Mustard Mint Sauce
    Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay, 2004
    Ingredients
    3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
    3 tablespoons ancho chili powder
    3 tablespoons pasilla chili powder
    3 tablespoons ground cumin
    3 tablespoons ground coriander
    3 tablespoons ground ginger
    1 tablespoon ground cloves
    1 tablespoon ground fennel seed
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    1 tablespoon allspice
    1 teaspoon chile de arbol
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons kosher salt
    2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper

8. bighead

bighead Senior Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I've got friends coming over and wanted to treat them to some good seafood. Bert

9. mikew

mikew SPONSOR

This one always turns out good....
    Marinate the Tuna steak in Italian dressing, worchestershire, lots of purple onion, cilantro, and fresh garlic. Place on grill for just a few minutes on each side. As soon as you turn the steak the first time place a big spoonful of the marinade on top of the steak and finish cooking.

10. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I'll double mike's recipe. that's my go-to, and I don't usually cook it any other way. add spanish rice & steamed asparagus w/ hollandaise, some good
    bread & a chardonnay... dangit! now I don't want that pizza we just ordered!
    -Brian